Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Microwave Interfering with Wifi connection

ppilot212
Star

Microwave Interfering with Wifi connection

So I've never had this problem with any other routers but I use the Orbi satellite as a bridge to connect my WMC Extender to my HTPC and any time someone uses the microwave is used the connection between the Router and the Sattlite breaks down. Basically my streaming live TV completely stops and it takes a minute for things to get back to normal.

Any idea on how to fix this?
Message 1 of 8
rhester72
Virtuoso

Pretty strange, as microwaves operate on the 2.4GHz spectrum and backhaul is on 5GHz.  I'd believe it's tearing down 2.4GHz connections because, well, physics.

Rodney

Message 2 of 8
ppilot212
Star

Yeah it literally happens everytime, so I am pretty stumped.
Message 3 of 8

so how close is ether the orbi router or sat from the microwave

cause you have 1 of 2 issues , the router or sat are too close to the microwave and causing interference

or

microwave is stuffed and leaking so much microwave energy its frying you all as well as the wifi on the orbi

i certainly would be checking if the second one is the issues , electricians can test for microwave leakage

Message 4 of 8
ppilot212
Star

Both the router and Sat are at least 30 feet away from the microwave, so I don't think it's that.

As for the second possibility, wouldn't we have run into this issue with my prior wireless setup (bridged R7000s)?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 5 of 8

so logic states that if the issue only occours with the microwave on then its something to do with the microwave

maybe back emf issues or microwave leakage but etherway its worth having the microwave checked out

you can try a ac noise line filter for the microwave to stop back emf

Message 6 of 8
Glenee
Apprentice

Can you borrow a Microwave and plug it into the same receptacle, the leaking  of raydon waves outside of the microwave is scary to say the least.

Message 7 of 8
TomMac
Guru

@Glenee wrote:

Can you borrow a Microwave and plug it into the same receptacle, the leaking  of raydon waves outside of the microwave is scary to say the least.

Yes... in the old days we use to light florescent bulbs by holding them in front of a leaking microwave units

I wouldn't put my eyeballs close !

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7