Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Migrate AC200 settings to AC3000?

jerrodbug
Aspirant

Migrate AC200 settings to AC3000?

I bought the AC2200 with 1 satellite, and am considering returning it, and getting the AC3000 2 pack instead.  Can i backup the settings on the AC2200 and restore them to the 3000 so i dont have to setup the whole system again?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to set up the AC3000 from scratch. Loading a saved config file from a different model Orbi is not supported. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Needs to setup from the beginning. Then save off a new back up config to file. 

Message 2 of 6
jerrodbug
Aspirant

I do already have the AC2200 fully setup exactly how i want.  Your saying i would need to setup the AC3000 from scratch?  I would think the software/firmware would be the same on both devices.  Or are you saying that i would need to setup the AC3000 from scratch, but could then load the config file from the AC2200 with the settings i want?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to set up the AC3000 from scratch. Loading a saved config file from a different model Orbi is not supported. 

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Also be aware that if you get a new AC3000, the FW version maybe old v1x, You first need to download v2.0.0.74 and apply to the RBS first then RBR, then you can upgrade to v60 which is the latest. This is only if the new system is on old v1 FW version.

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@jerrodbug wrote:

I bought the AC2200 with 1 satellite, and am considering returning it, and getting the AC3000 2 pack instead.  Can i backup the settings on the AC2200 and restore them to the 3000 so i dont have to setup the whole system again?

No......   and Yes.  You definitely must set up the new router from scratch, update the firmware to the latest release, and then do a "factory reset" and set it up again.  There is no way to save the previous configuration file and reload it.  Of course, the new router should have the exact SSID and password as the previous router so that all devices will continue to connect.

However, it IS possible to dramatically reduce the effort required to do one thing: recreate assigned IP's and device names.  I have gone to a lot of trouble to assign 30+ IP's to devices in "groups" (all IP cameras together, all smart switches together, etc.) and to give them names  and descriptions that I want.  @ekhalil describes a method of saving the current settings to a text file, editing the file, and then using the file to do a "mass configuration" of the new Orbi: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Quick-way-to-re-enter-your-IP-reservations-after-factory-reset...

I do this routinely now.  Some pointers: (1) you must be comfortable using telnet with the router.  (2) items have to be moved from the telnet session to a text editor.  I actually use the Putty telnet program which allows me to dump the entire telnet session to a text file while it is happening.  (3) editing the text file is a bit tricky.  take your time and check everything three times!  (4) since Orbi is a Linux machine, when telnet is running it expects text to be copied into the telnet command line in"Linux style" rather then "Windows style".  I use Notepad++ as the text editor which has that option.  (4) If you ARE going to do this, the best practice is to bring up the Orbi with a different SSID temporarily, use telnet to create the entries and "Apply" them, and at the end change the SSID back to the previous one.  If the Orbi comes up with the original SSID & password, devices will immediately start connecting and get IP's which is something you don't want.

So, "Yes, you can restore a lot of the customizations mechanically."  Is the time savings worth investing in the skills and the compliation to make it happen?  It was for me.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7