Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Minecraft and gaming

Mcaugheyclan
Follower

Minecraft and gaming

Ever since we got the Ac220 my kids can’t connect to online gaming. Specifically mobile games and Minecraft. However trivial this might sound. We live in a Covid world right now and where we live we are limited to being in our house right now except for essential services. I’ve spent countless hours trying to fix this and it leaves me frustrated and my kids disheartened. Does anyone have a solution for this? Also, my level of skill with this stuff is minimal. I’ve tried tutorials and other trouble shooting. But I’m at my last shred of patience with it.
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Minecraft and gaming

Internet gaming is one of the applications that are affected when there are two routers (the ISP device and the Orbi router).

What specific device is the Orbi connected to?

If it is also a router, there are three options:

1. Place the ISP device into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode. (and also turn off any WiFi service on the ISP device).
    Often the ISP technical support can do this for the customer.
  2. Place the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.  This eliminates any 'router' functions of the Orbi.  If you want (or need) to use Orbi routing functions, this may not be what you want. But, many (many) customers are happy with this solution.
  3. Place the Orbi's IP address into the ISp router's DMZ.

Additional information can be found by an internet search on "Double NAT"

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Minecraft and gaming

1. what router do you have? (or modem) You put AC220 but in your signature you put CBR40

2. What actual error do you get when trying to game? Does it connect but then disconnect constantly? Does it not connect to the server? Does it connect to the wireless or hardwired connection?

3. What device are you trying to game on?

4. Is that device hardwired into the router/satellite? Is it on wireless?

5. if your orbi is just a router (not the combo device) what modem/gateway is it connected to?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7