Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Missing Devices and Satellites (RBK43S)

arnb
Guide

Missing Devices and Satellites

Installed router and satellites yesterday, Aug 12, 2020

Satellites showed up as connected 5G with good backhaul

Devices displayed 7 of 14 attached and working devices

Decided to power down the router for 2 minutes to see if I could get devices to show.

Now Satellites show as disconnected, but have blue light tops, 3 of 14 working devices show as attached. Yes I did a sync and it seems to have worked.

My frustration levels are rising as I cannot determine status of any of my devices. I'm hoping someone has a workaround or answer for this issue. Thank you.

Additional Background info:

Set my own admin password, ssid and network password, changed Lan Ip address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1, added 10 reserved IP addresses. I have 5 (working) Broadlink IR blasters that must be totally reinstalled if  IP, SSID, or password changes, they are a PITA.

Message 1 of 37
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Missing Devices and Satellites

Why did you change the LAN IP address? What if the IP address that the Orbi is getting is in that range. I suggest putting it back to the default IP. Reboot the Orbi router, then unplug the satellites for 30 seconds or so and plug back in and let them get connected again.

Make sure all device that are wireless are signed into the wireless network. Regarding wired devices, make sure they are pulling an IP address, and also check cable connection.

Message 2 of 37
arnb
Guide

I changed the Lan IP address because my prior router's reserved IP addresses were 192.168.0.nnn and Orbi Router rejected addresses. Also have 5 Broadlink rm3 Minis  (IR Blasters) that would need to be totally reinstalled into their app and my Hubitat system, a total nightmare.  Easiest path for me was to duplicate the old network. Yesterday after changing the IP the satellites connected and showed good back haul with 192.168.0.nnn addresses.

@Mstrbig wrote:

Why did you change the LAN IP address?

Message 3 of 37
arnb
Guide

Update: If I look at the system using the Android phone app it shows the satellites daisy chained (as expected), connected with 5g.  Logging in from computer shows them as disconnected.

Both app and computer show only 3 of 14 devices as connected.

PS can only get into the phone app by clicking on Anywhere Access, login in fails.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-App-Android-phone-quot-login-timed-out-please-try-aga...

Message 4 of 37
Mstrbig
Master

Something may be causing this. So one way to truobleshoot is try this:

unplug and turn off any and all devices connected to your Orbi system, with the exception of your phone and/or PC. Forget the wifi network on your phone, and re-establish a wifi connection freshly logging in with password. Load the Orbi app and see if it recognizs your router, sats, phone and PC. Check the Web GUI to see if it is reporting the same info. One by one plug in wired devices and turn on wireless devices. Make sure each one is properly connecting, checking in between, that they are showing up, in the app and/or browser GUI.

Message 5 of 37
arnb
Guide

Appreciate the suggestion. With 14 devices, 3 wired, 11 wifi, I decided to try it with one device before taking the plunge with the remainder.

Tried with the Wifi connected Android 6 Samsung phone used as a Hubitat Dashboard: forgot network, powered down, powered up, quickly reconnected and functional.  No status change with Orbi app, or web gui, Samsung device does not show as attached to router or satellite, but works,  shows Hubitat dashboard, and connects to the web.

Btw Yesterday I contacted tech support regarding this issue. No Joy,seemed like forever and multiple people to reach someone, and I'm here seeking  an answer.  The rep's response "it only shows devices connected to internet" which was not correct as a few local ip only devices were showing. I can live without a phone app, but need a picture of attached devices to troubleshoot connection issues. 

Message 6 of 37
Mstrbig
Master

Maybe it's the Hubitat system? Where is the HE plugged in, router or satellite?

Message 7 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Missing Devices and Satellites

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Do devices appear on the RBRs web page under connected devices? 

@arnb wrote:

Installed router and satellites yesterday, Aug 12, 2020

Satellites showed up as connected 5G with good backhaul

Devices displayed 7 of 14 attached and working devices

Decided to power down the router for 2 minutes to see if I could get devices to show.

Now Satellites show as disconnected, but have blue light tops, 3 of 14 working devices show as attached. Yes I did a sync and it seems to have worked.

My frustration levels are rising as I cannot determine status of any of my devices. I'm hoping someone has a workaround or answer for this issue. Thank you.

Additional Background info:

Set my own admin password, ssid and network password, changed Lan Ip address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1, added 10 reserved IP addresses. I have 5 (working) Broadlink IR blasters that must be totally reinstalled if  IP, SSID, or password changes, they are a PITA.

Message 8 of 37
arnb
Guide

Hubitat is plugged into one of the router's Lan ports and working well, zigbee  and zwave devices all online and functional. This was a working setup before my prior router's 5G band broke. Ran fine for a few days on 2.4

Other wired devices are my computer and a Lift Master Garage door controller that works.

Orbi webgui and phone app for attached devices are useless.

What's interesting is looking at the reboot logs the 10 permanent address devices all show an immediate DHCP connect, but then don't show on the Gui.

Actually from a hardware perspective, everything seems to work. The attached devices

@Mstrbig wrote:

Maybe it's the Hubitat system? Where is the HE plugged in, router or satellite?

Message 9 of 37
arnb
Guide

The internet provider is Optimum Online

RBR plugged  into  Arris TM822 cable modem

House about 1800sq ft, one floor, but very long with RBR at one end, RBS daisy chained  about 30ft  from RBR, then 25ft RBS to RBS. Yesterday, connection displayed as "5g good backhaul", and still seems solid, but looking at gui I would not know that.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 10 of 37
Mstrbig
Master

I assume you are coming out of 1 of the 2 LAN ports on the Arris and not the WAN port?

It absolutely makes no sense that you are functioning, but some of your devices are not showing up. 

Message 11 of 37
arnb
Guide

@Mstrbig wrote:

I assume you are coming out of 1 of the 2 LAN ports on the Arris and not the WAN port?

It absolutely makes no sense that you are functioning, but some of your devices are not showing up. 

Yeah you right! It's a mess. I'm considering factory resetting, uninstalling, and returning the Orbi, but I'm getting great hroughput and everything other than the Attached Devices page works.

My Arris has Cable in, 2 phone jacks (using 1), and 1 Lan.

BTW someone asked about the FirmWare it's the latest afaik for router and satellites: V2.5.1.16

Message 12 of 37
Mstrbig
Master

@arnb wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

Yeah you right! It's a mess. I'm considering factory resetting, uninstalling, and returning the Orbi, but I'm getting great hroughput and everything other than the Attached Devices page works.

My Arris has Cable in, 2 phone jacks (using 1), and 1 Lan.

BTW someone asked about the FirmWare it's the latest afaik for router and satellites: V2.5.1.16

I can assure you it's not the Orbi. I install mesh systems almost every day and so far no other brand has come close to the performance of the Netgear Orbi. And yes they have great bandwidth throughput. So it would be a shame to send them back. Ther is something else that is causing the missing devices in the GUI and app. Have your tried uninstalling the app on your phone or tablet and reinstalling it? There's not much you can do with the GUI as you are accessing it with a web browser, but you could reset the browser. 

Message 13 of 37
arnb
Guide

I appreciate all of your time and suggestions.  Just to be sure it was not my Win 10 browser (firefox), I received the same result in Chrome.  The app was uninstalled numerous times on my Moto X4 and continues to only work by clicking "anywhere access", however the app installed and worked on my ancient Samsung phone with Android 6. The app shows the same 3 attached devices, but shows the satellites as connected.

I also reran the auto setup, but it did nothing. I've been programming on numerous platforms for many years, so my gut says it's something simple, just don't know what it is.

Should you live near Someset County, NJ and have a good mask, you are welcome to do your mesh magic on this thing.

@Mstrbig wrote:

I can assure you it's not the Orbi. I install mesh systems almost every day and so far no other brand has come close to the performance of the Netgear Orbi. And yes they have great bandwidth throughput. So it would be a shame to send them back. Ther is something else that is causing the missing devices in the GUI and app. Have your tried uninstalling the app on your phone or tablet and reinstalling it? There's not much you can do with the GUI as you are accessing it with a web browser, but you could reset the browser. 

Message 14 of 37
Mstrbig
Master

So the app works on the old Samsung phone, showing everything connected?

Do you have a tablet you can install the app on?

Thanks for the invite, but I'm in Tampa Bay Florida

Message 15 of 37
arnb
Guide

I have two Amazon Fire H8s that I side loaded with  the Android Play Store. However, I'm not sure what that would prove. The app on the Samsung showed the same weirdness.

Yes Tampa Bay is a bit out of range.

One thing that's odd is the IP subnet mask, I don't remember changing this.

On Internet setup page subnet mask is  255.255.248.0

however on the Lan setup page it's 255.255.255.0

Could this be the issue? What does your setup look like?

Prior router 255.255.255.0

BTW how can I post a picture/screen shot on this forum? So much easier than typing this stuff.

@Mstrbig wrote:

So the app works on the old Samsung phone, showing everything connected?

Do you have a tablet you can install the app on?

Thanks for the invite, but I'm in Tampa Bay Florida

Message 16 of 37
arnb
Guide

I was able to find the IP's for the satellites at 192.168.0.4 and 5, then logged into each device using my password. They are working as expected, show solid connections, display their respective connected devices. including those with permanent IP assignments, however all Device Name's show as "Unknown". 

Although the system is working, the router's "Attached Devices" listings says it is not. 

Message 17 of 37
Mstrbig
Master

Since you mention permanent IP addresses, what does your DHCP server look like. Static IP assingened devices should be configured outside the default DHCP IP address pool. Check your DHCP settings. If it is set to "2 - 254" you may want to reconfigure it to allow for a string of IP addresses outside that allocation setting.

Message 18 of 37
arnb
Guide

Range 192.168.0.2-254

All permanent devices are at 100+

DHCP is assinging non permanents from 2-whatever perhaps 10, I can't see the list on the router page.

When the router's IP was set at 192.168.1.1 vs now at 192.168.0.1, my attempts at assigning a permanent address with a 192.168.0.nnn was rejected with an "out of range" message. My understanding is the permanent IP's must be in the range of the address pool.

I also found this thread that appears to be indentical to my issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Attached-Devices-never-show-all-the-devices/td-p/1957541

So would downgrading my firmware help wih his issue, and how is that done? 

This forum, which appears to be a precursor to the more modern and (IMHO) easier to use Discourse forum software, does not have (afaik) the ability to post a photo or I would post a screen shots for the working satellite image and broken router page. 

Message 19 of 37
arnb
Guide

Reverted the router's firmware to V2.3.5.32 and getting 21 connected devices,  satellites continue to show disconnected, but are working. Perhaps reverting the satellites will help.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 20 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

RBR and RBS should be use same version of FW. 

You might try recent FW v4 as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Firmware-Version-2-5-2-4/m-p/1960919/highlight/true#M100...

I would factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch if you try this new FW.

@arnb wrote:

Reverted the router's firmware to V2.3.5.32 and getting 21 connected devices,  satellites continue to show disconnected, but are working. Perhaps reverting the satellites will help.

Message 21 of 37
arnb
Guide

Removed and shutdown all attached devices. Shutdown satellites, then router.

Powered on in reverse order

Powered up devices one at a time, all worked well, attached devices displayed 11 devices and 2 satellites

Then I added a Broadlink RM Mini3 (1 of 5 IR Blasters ) device, total trash on device display. Powered off Broadlink device, atttached device display eventually returned to normal.

However, now have the Broadlinks on the network and it looks like garbage again, but everything works

Message 22 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I would avoid using these Blaster devices. They maybe interferring with the system in some way. 

Message 23 of 37
arnb
Guide

"I would avoid using these Blaster devices. They maybe interferring with the system in some way."

You must be joking  Smiley Wink They worked and diplayed perfectly on my now idle Tp-Link router, and may soon do so again, until I get some other mesh router. These devices  are used to control 5 mini split units,  and automate my home  audio and video system.

My solution, either Netgear fixes the Orbi display page, or give me a refund. 

Message 24 of 37
Greg00001
Star

I've had the same issues as you. Satellites showing disconnected, wrong # of devices listed.  Even after factory resets and starting from scratch after each firmware try I always revert to this firmware.  It has been the most reliable and stable for me.

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7