Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mix backhaul Ethernet and wireless with two satellites

PSUHammer
Luminary

Mix backhaul Ethernet and wireless with two satellites

Had the RBK50 Orbi setup with a single satellite and added a second so I have one on each floor (basement, 1st floor and second floor).  I have Ethernet going to each floor and all terminating to a hub DEMARC location in my basement panel.  My Verizon FIOS Ethernet also terminates at this panel.

Setup is as follows:

• Router is in the basement panel
  • 1st satellite - on the first floor centrally located with wireless backhaul with daisy chain setting enabled
  • 2nd satellite - second floor bedroom with wireless backhaul via daisy chain setting

I have the option to connect Ethernet from the basement router to the 2nd satellite on the second floor but NOT on the first floor.  My question is, can you mix and match backhaul setups?  One satellite with an Ethernet backhaul connection to the router and the other connecting via wireless?

The manual did not cover this scenario and wondering if it is worth the effort.  The main reason is I have some devices I would like to hardwire (Nvidia Shield TV, Plex server, etc.) for high bandwidth video streaming on my LAN.

Any help appreciated.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

You are "good to go".  In most cases, ethernet backhaul is superior to wireless backhaul, especially when the wireless signal has to penetrate walls and ceilings.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@PSUHammer wrote:

I have Ethernet going to each floor and all terminating to a hub DEMARC location in my basement panel.  My Verizon FIOS Ethernet also terminates at this panel.

Yes, you can have any combination of wired and wireless backhaul.  Just to be clear: this is a patch panel, not a switch, correct?

Message 2 of 9
PSUHammer
Luminary

Correct. I have a few small switches as endpoints in a few rooms but not where my router will be. All the wiring terminates at, essentially, a patch panel.
Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

You are "good to go".  In most cases, ethernet backhaul is superior to wireless backhaul, especially when the wireless signal has to penetrate walls and ceilings.

Message 4 of 9
PSUHammer
Luminary

Everything worked as expected.  Good to TO GO.

Message 5 of 9
scooter456
Tutor

I have a mixed environment  of 2 wired backhaul RBS20's satellites, 1 wireless RBS20 satellite, and 1 wireless RBW30.  The RBS20 satellite would not for the life of me come up on back-haul.  I tried switching devices, patch cables, etc so I finally just let it come up on wireless.  That seems to have worked out since I later moved it away from the ethernet plug to be more centrally located.  What's surprising is that often devices attach to a much further satellite.  I probably have too many satellites for my 4-story town home, but I wanted to make sure I had the best coverate everywhere.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Is Daisy Chain enabled? Try it disabled. 

@scooter456 wrote:

I have a mixed environment  of 2 wired backhaul RBS20's satellites, 1 wireless RBS20 satellite, and 1 wireless RBW30.  The RBS20 satellite would not for the life of me come up on back-haul.  I tried switching devices, patch cables, etc so I finally just let it come up on wireless.  That seems to have worked out since I later moved it away from the ethernet plug to be more centrally located.  What's surprising is that often devices attach to a much further satellite.  I probably have too many satellites for my 4-story town home, but I wanted to make sure I had the best coverate everywhere.

Message 7 of 9
scooter456
Tutor

Distance between satellites vary between 15 and 45 feet.  Some are almost on top of others in the floor above.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to move the closer RBS farther way. 15 feet is too close. 30 feet is recommended starting distance for RBS from RBR. 

@scooter456 wrote:

Distance between satellites vary between 15 and 45 feet.  Some are almost on top of others in the floor above.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7