Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mix between access point and MESH - possible?

neilrlsmith
Aspirant

Mix between access point and MESH - possible?

Hi - bit long winded so please bear with me 🙂

[My router is downstairs. When we refurbed the house, we ran ethernet cables upstairs and to our separate annexe (which we rent out).

Upstairs - Currently I have an old router connected to the downstiars router and acting as an access point. I have a PS4 wired in to that which is great but the SSID has to be different so we have to log out and then in again. So need best of both worlds - wired access point with an additonal LAN port for the PS4 PLUS a roaming MESH SSID capability. Will the Orbit do this for me?

Annexe - I want another Orbit wired to my downstairs router, a spare LAN for a Smart TV, but this time I dont want roaming but a new SSID (becuase we have guests staying) So ideally I want one product that will do it all (rather than a mesh product upstairs and an old router in the annexe).

Will the RBK23 do all this for me?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Mix between access point and MESH - possible?

The Orbi only provides a single SSID for the entire system. Roaming or not roaming. So You could setup a RBS at the annex portion of the building however it would be using the same SSID as the RBSs use only the SSID name thats configure on the base RBR, wired or wireless. RBS can't be configured as a separate SSID. 

Your best bet would be to install a Orbi system for your needs for your side of the home, then LAN wire connect a dedicated AP with LAN ports in the annex portion of the home for those users there. 30 feet is recommended in between base RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 9
neilrlsmith
Aspirant

Thanks for this.  What abiut Guest mode though?  Wouldnt that solve the issue?

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Guest mode could be enabled however it would be seen for the entire system. You could use guest mode. Guest network has no bandwidth management so any connections would be on the WAN side of the router since Guest Network depends on this. Some have said there is security concerns around Guest Network and access to LAN side recources. 

Message 4 of 9
neilrlsmith
Aspirant

So is guest mode in addition to the main SSID or instead of?  In other words does the Orbi only support one SSID?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Guest Network would be in addition to the main SSID so there would be a separate SSID for GN. 

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

One main SSID and one Guest SSID, i.e. two SSID's.  The Guest SSID can be password protected, or can have no authentication. (Some people think, "the whole point is to allow strangers to have internet but keep them away from the devices on my main network, so why annoy them with a password.")

Message 7 of 9
neilrlsmith
Aspirant

Great.  I have no problem with the GM showing throughout the house so it looks like I can use the Orbi for a ccombined AP/MESH set up!  Thanks for all your help! 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7