Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mixing Netgear Legacy WAPs with Orbi RBk50 AC3000 network ?

e_John
Aspirant

Mixing Netgear Legacy WAPs with Orbi RBk50 AC3000 network ?

I have a large two floor house with basement and separate commercial building.  I will be installing a new Orbi router to replace an older commerical (non-wireless) router, along with the companion satellie, and two Netgear AC2200 Orbi satellites.  Each of the satellites will have a hardwired return to the Orbi routher.  The buildings are very well wired for CAT5/6, and several Netgear non-managed switches on a rack, so no need to utilize the wireless homerun (I know I am using the wrong term, but forget the new jargon).

Most devices are hardwired, but laptops, phones, etc. need the wireless, and the current setup is good, but not great.  We have on SSID, but occaisionally, a dead spot just happens.  The lagacy WAPs, are also hardwired back to the router, and are 10 year old Netgear RangeMAX 802-T.  Again, they do most of the job, and even transfer from one WAP to the next as you move around.  I would like to keep two of the legacy WAPs for remote locations, all with the same SSID as the new ORBI system.  

So, by question is:  how well will the RangeMAX WAPs play with the Orbi system ?  I do not need them to daisy chain, as everything will be star architecture hardwired back to ORBI router.  I just want them to be recognized on the same SSID, and transfer control back and forth as a device passes into their airspace / realm.  Nice if the ORBI app also recognizes them.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try the Orbi sytem out by itself to see if it covers the areas you need first. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Other legacy device may or may not work. Something you'll have to try and see if they connect or not. If they support G and N modes, then they may connect. If they don't support WPA2 or AES security, you may try chaning the Orbi to WPA and TPIK to see if this helps if you really need them. However doing this will lower the security of the wifi system to a lesser secure mode. WPA2 and AES is preferred. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@e_John wrote:

So, by question is:  how well will the RangeMAX WAPs play with the Orbi system ?  I do not need them to daisy chain, as everything will be star architecture hardwired back to ORBI router.  I just want them to be recognized on the same SSID, and transfer control back and forth as a device passes into their airspace / realm.  Nice if the ORBI app also recognizes them.

Good that you do not want Daisy Chain, because ONLY an Orbi satellite will Daisy Chain with an Orbi satellite.

They certainly can have the same SSID and password.

As far as I can determine, there will be no control transfer.  Zero.  To the Orbi, those WiFi AP's will appear to be "wired" devices, i.e. the same thing as a switch that has multiple devices connected to it.  (Everything connected to my Nighthawk in the garage shows up as "wired".)  The device will connect to the AP and the AP will pass the DHCP request to the Orbi router.    If the device moves far enough away from the AP that the connection drops, then it will most likely say, "Hey, I found a WiFi with an SSID that I recognize" and connect to it.  But, there will be no coordination.  This is probably what they are doing now.

Of course, there is no 5G support on these legacy AP's.  There are Orbi satellites on Amazon now for under $150 that can be wired to the router and provide "full service".

Message 3 of 4
e_John
Aspirant

that makes sense.  Probably trying too hard.  the older devices are WPA-2, and they do allow roaming, but it is more of ending one signal, and finding a stronger signal.  Might be good for a truly reomote location.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7