Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mobiles and laptop do not have internet

Gebla
Apprentice

Mobiles and laptop do not have internet

My family has many issues with mobiles and laptops (surface Book and Surface Pro) not getting internet on a Orbi setup. Wifi is connected but no or very slow internet connection. Using latest firmware of Orbi. Setup: RBR50 with 3 RBS50 satellites. 2 RBS50 are wired and one RBS50 is daisy chained to a wired RBS50. Modem of provider is in bridge mode.

What can I do? What log files do you need to diagnose?

When I set the Surface Book to 2.4GHZ only it improves but many times still very slow internet

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
Stev3D
Luminary

@Gebla , I suggest you start simple, diagnose that, and work you way to what sounds like a complex configuration — isolate the problem.  

Power off the satellites and all your devices but one computer (and turn Wi-Fi on that off) and work directly with the Orbi base router.  I suggest you verify that your WAN (cable modem) connection is attached to the correct connector on the back fo the Orbi.  Power-off and then then power-on the base, and if possible, connect to one of the LAN Ethernet ports with a single computer.  Once the router is up, verify that the computer has one of the IP addresses you think it should have (likely starting with 192.168 or 10.0).  Then test the connection speed using one of the many Web sites to do so (the easiest one to use is fast.com, and click on the button to get more information).  If the ping time is in the tens of msec, and the download speed is what you are paying for (the upload speed over cable modems are unlikely to be more than 10 Mbps, probably less)

If things aren’t good at this point, it suggests it is either the cable modem or the Orbi base.  

Dangerous step here:  You can determine which by plugging your computer into the cable modem — BUT BE SURE YOUR SOFTWARE FIREWALL IS ENABLED (the raw Internet is a messy, dangerous place — and I don’t recommend this test unless you are really well-equipped)

If you got good performance with a direct-connect to the router,  you can move on to Wi-Fi.  Eventually, bring up one satellite at a time (start with the wired one), and test with that.  The Web-based Orbi interface will tell you when something is attached via a satellite.  Use that one computer to gradually verify each element as it comes up until you have your full mesh going.

I hope this helps.

Message 2 of 12
Gebla
Apprentice

Thanks but i am a few steps ahead. Wired internet (wired connection to a rbs50) is always working and wifi internet connection on the devices is intermittent. Sometimes it works but many times it does not work.
It seems to be wifi related.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling WMM, Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

Message 4 of 12
Gebla
Apprentice

I tried all these settings but no change. Daisy chain i cant disable as one rbs50 will not work.

20/40 is only affecting 2.4 I believe
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Daisy chain needs to be disabled if you have a wire connected RBS. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 6 of 12
Gebla
Apprentice

You are joking, fiasy chain does not work? Why is the connection setup working then. The app shows a working condition. With one wireless rbs50 connecting to a wired RBS50.

House is 1800 square feet. Distance is around 30 ft
Message 7 of 12
Gebla
Apprentice

Is there anyway to measure quality of communication between the satellites?
Message 8 of 12
Gebla
Apprentice

Hi Netgear, can I get some support please?? Nit working wifi is getting really annoying
Message 9 of 12
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Gebla

Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 12
Gebla
Apprentice

I will contact support.
I have made 2 different ssid for 2.4 and 5. All devices now connect to 2.4 without problems. For example my samsung s9 had regular internet drop outs on 5ghz.
At least i now have pinpointed the issue to 5ghz only.
Message 11 of 12
Gebla
Apprentice

I am waiting on service to contact me. How long does this normally take. Would love to start using 5G again

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7