Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Model Number RBS20 Orbi Add-on Satellite WON'T CONNECT TO MY 2018 ROUTER & EXTENSION

BrendaV2262
Follower

Model Number RBS20 Orbi Add-on Satellite WON'T CONNECT TO MY 2018 ROUTER & EXTENSION

The pull-down wouldn't let me select "RBS20" as an Add-on Satellite.  So I had to select "RBS40."  But that's not correct.  I purchased an Orbi route and extender, Model RB550, in April of 2018.  I don't know if it's too old now or what, but the add-on satellite we purchased today WILL NOT calibrate.  I follow the instructions and the satellite will light up blue then go off to nothing; however, the ID (ORBI09) will not show up on any TV or phone.  I have been messing with this for at least 12 hours, throughout the day, and I am going insane.  PLEASE HELP!

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Model Number RBS20 Orbi Add-on Satellite WON'T CONNECT TO MY 2018 ROUTER & EXTENSION

A little more information may help.  The initial Orbi system was one router (RBR50) and one satellite (RBS50).  The addition is one satellite (RBS20).  When the satellite is sync'd to the router, the WiFi name "ORBI09" does not appear.

What is the WiFi name (SSID) of the original Orbi system?

Are you able to access the Orbi web interface of the original Orbi system?

If so, the "Attached Devices" web page should show two satellites, the original RBS50 and the new RBS20.  Does it?

When a new satellite is successfully sync'd to an Orbi system, it will broadcast the name of the Orbi system.

Could you describe the process used to connect the new satellite?

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Model Number RBS20 Orbi Add-on Satellite WON'T CONNECT TO MY 2018 ROUTER & EXTENSION

2018 is not old.

What is the FW version on your RBR? If the version of the RBRs FW is newer than whats on the RBS and the RBS has older FW, the RBS may not sync and needs to be updated. 

Using a wired LAN connected PC to the back of the RBS. First download the latest FW version for the RBS:

Connect your wired PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS by pressing the reset button in back for 15 seconds then let go. Wait about 5 minutes. Your PC should received a IP address. Use a web browser, IE11, FireFox or Opera, and navigate to 192.168.1.250. This should reveal the RBS log in page. User name is admin and pass word is password. Once in, send the unzipped FW file to the RBS. After it's processed, I would factory reset the RBS once more and then hit the sync button on the RBR then RBS. It should sync and come to ready. Disconnect the PC from the RBS and reconnect to the RBR. Place the RBS in its remote location. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@BrendaV2262 wrote:

The pull-down wouldn't let me select "RBS20" as an Add-on Satellite.  So I had to select "RBS40."  But that's not correct.  I purchased an Orbi route and extender, Model RB550, in April of 2018.  I don't know if it's too old now or what, but the add-on satellite we purchased today WILL NOT calibrate.  I follow the instructions and the satellite will light up blue then go off to nothing; however, the ID (ORBI09) will not show up on any TV or phone.  I have been messing with this for at least 12 hours, throughout the day, and I am going insane.  PLEASE HELP!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7