Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Modem access throuh] router

John_Ba
Luminary

Modem access throuh] router

Its not needed often but in the past I have had to get line stats from my modem. My RBR50 blocks access to my Vigor 130 and when, as just had to do, I need line stats for my ISP I have to get then direct from the 130. The Orbi then plays up and everything had to be rebooted.What modem can you use with an Orbi with access through the router? I had no problems with two Asus routers before the Orb I so there must be ways of doing it as Asus allow it.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the modem in "Bridge Mode"? (see page 30)

https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/manuals/19653.pdf 

Message 2 of 21
John_Ba
Luminary

The modem is as out of box with no changes to defult

Message 3 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@John_Ba wrote:

Thank you.  That being the case, the Orbi WAN interface should  have an IP of 192.168.1.???.

All the devices on the Orbi LAN would have IP addresses of 10.0.0.??

A web browser asking for 192.168.1.1 (the modem) should connect to it.

I am as puzzled as you are why this is not happening.

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the modem in bridge mode? 

@John_Ba wrote:

Message 5 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try the modem in bridge mode? 

@John_Ba wrote:

When the modem web interface is not reachable, it might be hard to change the mode.  The issue is retrieving usage stats from the modem.  I did not read the manual far enough to learn if usage stats are collected in bridge mode.

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be curious if the bridge mode supports 192.168.100.1 or not. Even if the modem isn't bridge, it's web page should be accessible thru the Orbi. 

They would need to connect a PC to the modem and change it there if bridge mode is an option.

Message 7 of 21
John_Ba
Luminary

The UK modems have 192.168.2.1 as there address, stats are got from using an interface accessed in the modem. Trying through the Orbi all I get is a time out what ever browser used.

Message 8 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@John_Ba wrote:

The UK modems have 192.168.2.1 as there address, stats are got from using an interface accessed in the modem. Trying through the Orbi all I get is a time out what ever browser used.

Thanks for the correction. (What I get for believing a user manual without checkiing.)

What is the IP address of the WAN port of the Orbi router?  Does it start with 192.168.2 ?

Message 9 of 21
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Are you able to connect to the modem if a laptop/computer is connected directly via a network cable ?

If yes, which IP has the modem ? The same IP should be used if you want to connect "through" the Orbi to this modem.

I suggest also to configure either the "bridge mode" or the "DMZ" on the modem.

Message 10 of 21
John_Ba
Luminary

The address for Orbi is 192.169.1 not 2. There is no problem connecting with any device direct to modem nor was there using 2 different Asus routers that just worked with the modem allowing access over the network. A recall I did change from the default setting at one time and access via the Asus was blocked so had to context direct and change back. This may have been bridge mode, I was wondering as a more problem free which modems do conext direct through Orbi’s?

Message 11 of 21
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@John_Ba wrote:

The address for Orbi is 192.169.1 not 2. 

I have not asked for the Orbi IP, the modem IP is the interesting one ... btw, 192.169.1 is not a valid IPv4 address.

@John_Ba wrote:

A recall I did change from the default setting at one time and access via the Asus was blocked so had to context direct and change back. This may have been bridge mode, I was wondering as a more problem free which modems do conext direct through Orbi’s?

You have 2 routers (Vigor & Orbi), so you have to set the Vigor to bridged/modem only mode or use the "DMZ" function.

Then you should be able to access the Vigor via the IP address, which I still cannot found in this thread.

Message 12 of 21
John_Ba
Luminary

CrimpOn asked about the Orbi address and he was asking about the first 3 parts of the log on address. The Vigor 130 is a modem nothing more so it doesn't need any router fucntions disabl;ing as it doesn't have any.

Message 13 of 21
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@John_Ba wrote:

The Vigor 130 is a modem nothing more so it doesn't need any router fucntions disabl;ing as it doesn't have any.

Are you sure ?

https://www.draytek.com/products/vigor130/

When I check the admin GUI simulator:

http://eu.draytek.com:10130/

Then I guess you need to set either:

NAT -> DMZ-Host

or

LAN -> static route

Message 14 of 21
John_Ba
Luminary

I am unclear as what either are, I have tried adding the modem as a fixed address but it couldn't accept it as its not seeing the modem.

Message 15 of 21
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@John_Ba wrote:

I have tried adding the modem as a fixed address but it couldn't accept it as its not seeing the modem.

Where have you done what ?

Modem, Router, Orbi, Vigor ???

Message 16 of 21
John_Ba
Luminary

Orbi

Message 17 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, this has been confusing because it appears that the UK deploys DrayTek Vigor 130 set up in bridge mode with all router functions disabled. https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130/send/257-vigor-130/523-vigor130-quickstartguid... 

So, the question is how to connect to 192.168.2.1 from a computer attached to the Orbi LAN.

The way I understand Orbi operation, is the Orbi WAN port will get a"public" IP address from the ISP.

It will then create an IP subnet on the LAN side, taking 192.168.1.1 for itself and assigning other 192.168.1.x addresses to devices connected to the LAN.  As part of the DHCP process, all devices will recognize that any address starting with 192.168.1 is in the local LAN and can be reached by doing an ARP request to learn the MAC address and then sending packets directly to the device.  Any other IP address can be reached only by connecting to the gateway IP address (the Orbi), which will then forward packets to the final destination.

192.168.2.1 is not on the local LAN, so the Orbi gateway will attempt to find it.  This is where my limited knowledge fails.  I do not see how anything can find 192.168.2.1 in this situation. The router should ask the ISP gateway, "where is 192.168.2.1" and the gateway should say, "no idea".

Section 4 of the Quick Start Guide says to set a PC to a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x subnet (mask 255.255.255.0)  To me, "this works".  PC arps "where is 192.168.2.1" and the Vigor responds "here I am". They talk.  (I doubt the PC can access the internet from this static IP.)

I am at a loss to come up with an explanation for how ANY router can reach the modem (Asus included).

Message 18 of 21
John_Ba
Luminary

Thanks for looking into it. Clearly weather deliberately or not many Asus routers have a way you can access the modem through them. If they intend this I have no idea or what it is that allows it. I either have to make direct connection of change modem, which is why I was asking which modems can be accessed through an Orbi, but if all these are setup differently in different countries may be this is also going to  be unknown?

Message 19 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@John_Ba wrote:

Thanks for looking into it. Clearly wheather deliberately or not many Asus routers have a way you can access the modem through them. If they intend this I have no idea or what it is that allows it. I either have to make direct connection of change modem, which is why I was asking which modems can be accessed through an Orbi, but if all these are setup differently in different countries may be this is also going to  be unknown?

I do not know of any "only a modem" that can be access by the customer.  (Ignorance, not knowledge).

If the modem was not in 'bridge mode', then the Orbi would be able to connect to it because instead of the Orbi using the public IP address, the Orbi would get a 192.168.2.x IP from the Vigor (and change its own LAN to 10.0.0.x  That's clearly not what the ISP intends for customers to do.

Since usage stats are a significant issue for this ISP, maybe a call to their technical support?

Message 20 of 21
John_Ba
Luminary

Thanks, my ISP didn't supply the 130 I had it befor moving to them. Will just have to link direct ios information is needed again.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7