Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Modem/router combo

Leppy
Aspirant

Modem/router combo

I would like to get a mesh network for my house that’s about 3500 square feet on 3 levels. I want a modem/router combo and 1 satellite. I’m lost as to which Orbi models I should be looking at. Any help would greatly be appreciated. The website isn’t much help and I don’t want to go off a retailers site.
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Check with your ISP to see if they support this Orbi system:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CBK40.aspx

Message 2 of 19
Leppy
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. I have Comcast. I’ll check
Message 3 of 19
plemans
Guru

The orbi modem/router combo does work with comcast. 

I'd highly recommend buying a modem seperate from the router though. When you buy them together, the ISP controls the firmware and they're horrible at updating the firmware. When you buy them seperate, the isp only controls the firmware on the modem. You control the firmware on the router. Plus if one goes bad (modem or router), it doesn't take the whole setup down. Plus it allows for easier upgrading as you can choose to upgrade either the modem or the router and not have to buy a whole new system.  

Message 4 of 19
Leppy
Aspirant

I don’t know too much about firmware and such. I just need to get my internet to my whole house. Do the Orbi not last long? My current modem/router is 3-4 years old and cuts in and out often. So I don’t replace them that often. Was looking for an all in one system. And I don’t need anything fancy. Streaming and Xbox for two adults and a 5 year old.
Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe they do...

Message 6 of 19
plemans
Guru

They do last a long time. I've had my orbi setup since they came out. But we also frequently see people that have power outages/storms that wreck electronics. At least if one goes down, you still have the other. Its a little more $ to buy into but gives you better control and redundancy.

In terms of firmware, firmware is what controls the router/modem. It includes bug fixes, security fixes, and optimizations.

When you have combo devices, the ISP controls it and each time there's an update, they have to certify it before rolling it out. It costs them $ to do so. Which is why they don't update firmware nearly as much as they should. 

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Power strips can help with power outages and bumps. UPS would be 100% effective for protection. 

Message 8 of 19
Leppy
Aspirant

I always connect my electronics to a power strip. Are there any other Orbi that fit what I need or is the one above the only one? Any other recs?
Message 9 of 19
plemans
Guru

The CBK40 is currently the only Orbi with integrated modem. 

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

the CBK40 and 43 are the only Orbi units with built in modems. 43 being a system that comes with 2 satellites instead of one. NG makes C series modems which are just modem routers with wifi. No MESH. You can get say a C7800 and then add a EX7700 or EX8000 has a satellite extender if you want to go this route. 

Message 11 of 19
Leppy
Aspirant

I think I know the answer, but the RBK 43S; does that have the router and modem?
Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Only the CBK series have built in modems. 

Message 13 of 19
Leppy
Aspirant

You guys have been so helpful, better than their website. I was looking on snap and found CBR40. Does that do both? If I get that and satellite RBS2 I’ll save $60 compared to the CBK40 package.
Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 15 of 19
Leppy
Aspirant

What about the CBR40?
Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

The CBR40 is appart of the CBK40 kit, CB(K) = Kit or box set. The kit somes with 1 CBR40 which is the modem/router and 1 satellite, RBS20. 

Message 17 of 19
DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

The cbk40 I have it with Comcast works great

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Good stuff. 

@DominicanMacPro wrote:

The cbk40 I have it with Comcast works great