Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Modem suggestion for Orbi RBK50

nathharr3
Aspirant

Modem suggestion for Orbi RBK50

Hi, I am going to buy the Orbi RBK50 and need a Modem suggestion. I will be on ADSL2+ with max download of 24mbps with TPG in Australia. I was thinking the Netgear DM200 as a modem. I will be moving into a two story unit with concrete floors and a tight stairwell. The previous tenant was using a range extender but I want something more powerful so I can stream HD on up to three devices upstairs. The modem and base Orbi will be located downstairs. I have zero tech knowledge so any advice would be gretly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact the ISP your going to have service with to make sure what they support is available to you. 

Make sure you try and get a modem that doesn't have a built in router if at all possible. The Orbi is a router already so no need for an additional one. 

Regarding Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 5
nathharr3
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that but they aren't that helpful.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Do they post a list of supported modems? If they don't then you may have to get one and try it out. Get a modem from a place that has a good return policy.

Message 4 of 5
JoeM845
Luminary

@nathharr3 wrote:

Hi, I am going to buy the Orbi RBK50 and need a Modem suggestion. ...

You might consider reposting with "Aussies" in the subject to see if you can attract responses from people with your ISPs.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7