Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Months of solid performance now daily disconnects - what gives?

Noisenet
Tutor

Months of solid performance now daily disconnects - what gives?

I bought this Orbi system (one satellite - the RBS50) several months ago, it's performed with no glitches whatsoever. Now it's dropped the connection the last two days, out of nowhere, requiring a power cycle to reconnect. My computer is hardwired to the router, not WiFi, however other devices connected via WiFi also cannot connect. When this happens I also cannot connect to the Orbi's configuration utility using hardwired OR WiFi connected computers.

My firmware version is V2.1.2.18 - after a little research I see the unit auto updates & that cannot be turned off without telnetting into the unit - nice move Netgear - not allowing us to disable updates that may (and in my case DID) screw the reliability of the system. Might wanna call the crew back in, lock them back in the room until they can devise a little button to turn auto update off.

Is there a new update on the way? If not what is the last known reliable firmware version and where can I get it? Resetting this P.O.S. daily isn't an option as I live with my disabled Father who cannot get to the router. He depends on the Internet connection for several things so reliability is mandatory. I travel a good bit for work so I'm not here all the time.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-issues-update-3-9-18/td-p/1522633/jump-to/first-un...

v2.0.1.4 is being recommended by NG if your having issues with v18. You can get prior FW versions on NG support page for your model Orbi.

Message 2 of 7
Noisenet
Tutor

Thank you! I've downloaded the files, I have to head to work soon so I'll do the downgrades tomorrow for the router and satellite.

Will I need to telnet in and disable automatic updates or will me updating automatically disable the automatic feature (I've seen people reporting both behaviors).

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 7
Jgriesshaber
Tutor

Reverting back firmware will not auto update, as they have paused any updates to the 2.1s as they are clearly broken.

Make sure to update your satellites first, then the router.
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you downgrade the Satellie first, then the router.

I would also do full factory resets after the FW file has been sent and processed. Then setup from scratch. 

Let us know how it goes. 

@Noisenetwrote:

Thank you! I've downloaded the files, I have to head to work soon so I'll do the downgrades tomorrow for the router and satellite.

Will I need to telnet in and disable automatic updates or will me updating automatically disable the automatic feature (I've seen people reporting both behaviors).

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 7
Brain29
Apprentice

the roll back will work great for a few days then everything will start to crap out again .. good luck 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7