Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Motorola Modem MB8611 Will Not Work with Orbi

ITTOG
Tutor

Motorola Modem MB8611 Will Not Work with Orbi

Does anyone know if there are any modem's Orbi will not work with? I am having issues with the modem whenever I connect my router. If I connect a laptop to the modem everything works great. But once I connect my router the modom loses its connection to the internet. Sometimes the modem will bounce off and on. I have tried too many variations to list on when I power on the router. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF both RBR and Modem for 30 seconds, then back ON with the modem first then RBR?

NGs CM series modems work with Orbi systems. 

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@ITTOG wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any modem's Orbi will not work with? I am having issues with the modem whenever I connect my router. If I connect a laptop to the modem everything works great. But once I connect my router the modom loses its connection to the internet. Sometimes the modem will bounce off and on. I have tried too many variations to list on when I power on the router.

This modem appears to be entirely compatible with the Orbi router.  The Quick Start Guide is typical of modern modems.  After the modem's OnLine symbol lights up what color does the ethernet connection show (green for gigabit)?

https://motorolacable.com/documents/MB8611-QuickStart.pdf 

Is the same ethernet cable being used for the laptop test and for the router connection?

Message 3 of 13
ITTOG
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you power OFF both RBR and Modem for 30 seconds, then back ON with the modem first then RBR?

NGs CM series modems work with Orbi systems. 

Yes and about a thousand variations. 

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different modem or connect a spare router to the modem to see if it works, then connect the RBR to this spare router to see if it connects to the router, if not then the problem would be the RBR. 

Message 5 of 13
ITTOG
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@ITTOG wrote:

This modem appears to be entirely compatible with the Orbi router.  The Quick Start Guide is typical of modern modems.  After the modem's OnLine symbol lights up what color does the ethernet connection show (green for gigabit)?

https://motorolacable.com/documents/MB8611-QuickStart.pdf 

Is the same ethernet cable being used for the laptop test and for the router connection?

It is green. I have been using the old modem since my first posting. The behavior of the orbi has changed. Now, I experience the wifi being connected but no internet access. It is ineresting though because my wired devices do not lose connection to the internet, only the mobile devices. This behavior cycles throughout the day. Very weird behavior. 

Message 6 of 13
ITTOG
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a different modem or connect a spare router to the modem to see if it works, then connect the RBR to this spare router to see if it connects to the router, if not then the problem would be the RBR. 

So I have been using a different modem since I posted the issue. For wired devices everything is working great. However for wireless devices I am having issues. The wired devices stay connected but I get a message that no internet access is available. I get the same message on an android phone, several iphone's, Surface tablets, and an ipad. All have the same message and cannot access the internet. Wow would it work only for wired devices? 

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a prior/spare router by chance? 

Something to try out in between the modem and RBR. 

I see the modem has a 2.5Gb WAN port. Though it should fall back to 1000Mpbs for the RBR, possible handling of speeds and data could be problem here. The RBR only supports 1Gb on the WAN port. 

Has the RBR worked with other modems before the MB8611? Or is this first time for both? 

Message 8 of 13
ITTOG
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do you have a prior/spare router by chance? 

Something to try out in between the modem and RBR. 

I see the modem has a 2.5Gb WAN port. Though it should fall back to 1000Mpbs for the RBR, possible handling of speeds and data could be problem here. The RBR only supports 1Gb on the WAN port. 

Has the RBR worked with other modems before the MB8611? Or is this first time for both? 

Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been out of town and busy. In summary, RBR didn't work with my new modem at all. It does work with my old modem and that is what I am on now. I updated my post indicating when using the old modem I had problem with the WAN losing access to the internet but not the LAN. This is an ongoing problem. Rebooting the RBR resolves it for a little while. I few days ago I decided to unplug my two satellites and the WAN issue is resolved. I don't have as good a connection as in the past but I am not losing internet access anymore. So, does this identify the two RBS's as the issue or could it still be an issue with the RBR when communicating with the RBS's? 

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I wouldn't think the RBS would cause the WAN side to be problematic. 

What happens if you turn ON just 1 RBS placed out at 30 feet from the RBR? These RBS wirelessly connnected or wire connected to the RBR? 

Any chance you could try a Netgear CM series modem? Maybe a CM1000 or 1100? The CM2000 has a 2.5Gb WAN port but the RBR50 will only connect at 1000Mpbs. Just sounds like the Motorola modem and RBR50 don't like each other. 

I'd try a different modem. Have yoru ISP ensure the ISP signal up to the modem is good and stable first off.

Message 10 of 13
ITTOG
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I wouldn't think the RBS would cause the WAN side to be problematic. 

What happens if you turn ON just 1 RBS placed out at 30 feet from the RBR? These RBS wirelessly connnected or wire connected to the RBR? 

Any chance you could try a Netgear CM series modem? Maybe a CM1000 or 1100? The CM2000 has a 2.5Gb WAN port but the RBR50 will only connect at 1000Mpbs. Just sounds like the Motorola modem and RBR50 don't like each other. 

I'd try a different modem. Have yoru ISP ensure the ISP signal up to the modem is good and stable first off.

I did try each of the RBS's individually and the problem reoccurs.every time. Usually within about five minutes. So whatever this issue is it happens very quickly. 

Unfortunately I do not have any other modem's but the Arris I am using now. I may have to break down and buy another though because running without the two RBS's really limits the signal in the house. 

I tried four different tech's with the ISP and they all said they could see the modem and everything was working. Once I plugged in the router it would go down and they could see it. 

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Find a place that has a good return policy. Amazon is good too. I would try a Netgear CM series...I know the RBR50 works with my CM1100 and CM1200 modems...

Message 12 of 13
ITTOG
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Find a place that has a good return policy. Amazon is good too. I would try a Netgear CM series...I know the RBR50 works with my CM1100 and CM1200 modems...

Just to be clear, you think the issue between the RBR and RBS's are related to the modem? That issue being that the RBS's cause the internet to drop on the WAN but not on the LAN. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7