Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Moving Between Router & Satellites

meyerla
Follower

Moving Between Router & Satellites

I have read about issues with other mesh networks when a user with a mobile device moves far away from the router or satellite they intially connect with.  It seems often the device will try to stay connected to the weaker signal option even when it is closer to a stronger better option and the only way to set it straight, so to speak, is to turn off and on wifi.

My question is, does Orbi deal with this situation in a better way than others?

Message 1 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello meyerla 

Yes the orbi has one wifi network that will keep you connected to the best signal in the house so no switching to the extenders network. The orbi also has band steering to keep you on the best network band for your devices.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 16
JBMN
Star

Darren, 

How dependent is that on the smarts of the device?  For example, I have a nestcam on the opposite side of the house from the router.  The satellite wasn't on when the devices joined and they still have not switched to the satellite (on that side of the house).   I suppose I could restart the nestcam, but just curious. 

Message 3 of 16
spewak
Luminary

I would restart the Nestcam. It's all one SSID now.

Message 4 of 16
JBMN
Star

I did restart the NestCams (it was one SSID before too).   And as of right now, they both have grabbed the orbi device furthest from them oddly.  Wifi signal analyser says they shouldn't, but

To be clear, I don't put it on Netgrear/Orbi, just curious how devices make this decision with the shared SSID and if some devices are smarter than others.

Message 5 of 16
spewak
Luminary

The Orbi's are able to differentiate between the needs of the different devices automatically.

From the site:

The tri-band WiFi that powers Orbi includes a dedicated 1.7 Gbps 5 GHz band that is used solely used for communication between an Orbi router and satellite. The other two WiFi bands are dedicated to the WiFi devices that you connect to your Orbi network.

The performance that you experience also depends on the devices that you are connecting to your network. In most circumstances, you can expect the following speeds:

• Up to 400 Mbps for older devices using 2.4 GHz
  • Up to 866Mbps for your newer mobile devices that support 5 GHz
Message 6 of 16
dmystic1
Apprentice

My iPhone 6s constantly grabs the sattilite even if I am 10ft from the router.  Strange thing sitting 10ft from the router and having the sattilite  downstairs I was getting a stronger signal from the sattilite.

Message 7 of 16
th3w01f
Apprentice

Just noticed that two of my nests that are on the opposite side of the house from the satellite have moved from the router which is about 30' away to the satellite which is about 80' away.   Seems a bit strange. 

Message 8 of 16
dmystic1
Apprentice

Do a signal test. I'm not home but I said earlier my satellite had a stronger signal than the router.
Message 9 of 16
th3w01f
Apprentice

@dmystic1, what are you using for testing?

Message 10 of 16
dmystic1
Apprentice

Inssider 4 but it's not free but there are free versions out there.
Message 11 of 16
JBMN
Star

@th3w01f wrote:

Just noticed that two of my nests that are on the opposite side of the house from the satellite have moved from the router which is about 30' away to the satellite which is about 80' away.   Seems a bit strange. 

That's exactly my scenario.   Camera 1 is going to the satellite (which is 3x the distance vs the router) and Camera 2 is going to the router (which is 3x further than the Satellite an dehind some HVAC ducts relazertive to that camera).   I restarted both NestCams.  I wonder if there is something in the prioritization logic that tries to keep both NestCams off the satellite?

I'm thinking the Wifi analyzer will show the closer is stronger, but I could be surprised.  I wish there was a way to force a device to a particular ORBI node.

Message 12 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JBMN

Have you been able to figure out why this is happening?

DarrenM

Message 13 of 16
XBond
Apprentice

Check out my post 'Devices get stuck connected to Orbi in 2.4 GHz mode'.

Seems like the Orbi or the device doesn't always pick the best network band for the device. Is that an issue with the device? Orbi? Tested with 2 iPhones and 1 laptop (which just sits in an office).

I too had to disconnect and reconnect to the Wi-Fi Network to get back on the 5GHz band.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 14 of 16
netwrks
Master

Wireless clients (including iDevices) will pick the strongest signal first, which is usually 2.4ghz, as it has a a stronger signal at a farther range, compared to 5ghz. For clients it`s about connection strength, not speed.

Message 15 of 16

@netwrks wrote:

Wireless clients (including iDevices) will pick the strongest signal first, which is usually 2.4ghz, as it has a a stronger signal at a farther range, compared to 5ghz. For clients it`s about connection strength, not speed.

that would be correct in standard wireless access points , but orbi goes further and and not only ap steers the clients it also band steers the client depending on how they report , if detected as wireless ac clients they will be connected to the 5 gig first if the client is within range 

within the house my 5 gig clients al;ways stay on the 5 gig band even between router and sat , the only timke i see my client drop to 2.4 gig is when i go outside and once i return inside they go back to 5 gig 

p.s most of my clients are non apple based , so my experience is based on non apple clients 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7