Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving Router - concerned about being too close

Stins
Aspirant

Moving Router - concerned about being too close

Hi all,

Wondering if you can help me please. I'm currently at the end of my contract with ISP. I'm currently considering moving to another ISP with FTTP. The modem for this FTTP, is right in the middle of the house. 

With the current ISP the modem is in the living room which is where my RBR50 is. My RBS50 is then in the back bedroom. With the FTTP modem being in the middle of the house I'd need to move the RBR to the middle and the Satellite would be really close on the upper floor (just one floor seperating them) I'm worried this is going to cause problems?

I did think about the possibility of disabling the wireless on the satelittle (as the router being in a central location now should make the original issue of getting wireless over the hole house) and just having it on the wireless backhaul for the few ethernet devices connected to it. Having a look in the web panel it seems there is not an option to do that? 

Hoping this makes sense! Any help or guidance is appreciated. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Moving Router - concerned about being too close

@Stins wrote:

Hi all,

Wondering if you can help me please. I'm currently at the end of my contract with ISP. I'm currently considering moving to another ISP with FTTP. The modem for this FTTP, is right in the middle of the house. 

With the current ISP the modem is in the living room which is where my RBR50 is. My RBS50 is then in the back bedroom. With the FTTP modem being in the middle of the house I'd need to move the RBR to the middle and the Satellite would be really close on the upper floor (just one floor seperating them) I'm worried this is going to cause problems?

I did think about the possibility of disabling the wireless on the satelittle (as the router being in a central location now should make the original issue of getting wireless over the hole house) and just having it on the wireless backhaul for the few ethernet devices connected to it. Having a look in the web panel it seems there is not an option to do that? 

Hoping this makes sense! Any help or guidance is appreciated. 

You should not have a problem, since walls and wiring also add to the distance factor. So try it and see the results.

Do you only have the one bedroom upstairs that you can place your satellite? If not, just move the Satellite to another location on the second floor. The only other options would be to move the ISP modem or RBR50 router.

Message 2 of 5
Stins
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply! 

At the minute yes, it would only be the one bedroom I can place it due to non-wireless devices being wired to the satellite. Would a change in the transmit power be an option if I do have issues? 

I can't move the modem as it is a Fibre to the Property connection and I dare not even attempt to play around with the Fibre cable - reading on the internet that seems to be a big no no. Since I do not have my house wired up with ethernet it's not possible to then move the RBR50 router as it'll need to connect to that modem. 

Message 3 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

I would wait until you are fully operational. I prefer to only reduce power as a last resort.
Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mstrbig wrote:
I would wait until you are fully operational. I prefer to only reduce power as a last resort.

I agree, reducing transmit power affects every Orbi device, so the total area covered will shrink.

It is also pretty simple to move the satellites to other locations and "see what happens."

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7