Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multi ssid

CAMills
Follower

Multi ssid

I find the RBR20 with satellites provide excellant wifi. It is handling 1GBps from my provider. I did have to replace the flat network cable that came with the ORBI with a quqlity CAT 6.. My biggest issue is the lack of 2 SSID names. I feel this is a manufacuring defect. I have tried all the suggested telnet modifications but every reboot wipes out the change and provides one ssid that handles both 2.4 and 5.0.  This inhibits setting up smart bulbs and ring. My solution was to purchase a  2.4 andoid tablet that would connect to the 2.4 ORBI band and to the smart bulb, Once the bulb is setup with the tablet, Alexa is happy. This solution was mentioned in another post.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Multi ssid

Try this method which works for most IoT devices that require your smart phone to also be on the 2.4GHz frequency to configure their WiFi.

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the Orbi network.
2. Enter orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 (IP address of your router's LAN port).
3. The login window opens, enter username "admin" and the password that you configured for your router.
4. Click Advanced tab > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings.
5. Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" for the 5GHz frequency and click Apply to save the settings.
6. Confirm that your smartphone is connected to the 2.4GHz frequency. If it is still connected to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password. Now your smartphone should be on the 2.4GHz frequency.
7. Try connecting your IoT device to the Orbi network per its setup instructions.
8. If it works, re-enable the broadcast SSID option for the 5GHz frequency.
9. On your smartphone, turn WiFi off and back on again and it should reconnect to the strongest signal.
10. If your smartphone did not reconnect to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network again for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Multi ssid

@CAMills wrote:

My solution was to purchase a  2.4 andoid tablet that would connect to the 2.4 ORBI band and to the smart bulb, Once the bulb is setup with the tablet, Alexa is happy. This solution was mentioned in another post.

I keep my old Moto e4, which does only 2.4G.  Pretty soon, 2.4G only devices will become scarce. In my experience so far, few of the IoT devices that I have purchased have needed a "work around" of any sort.  I actually keep the phone mostly for those times when a device that I want to have an "assigned" IP somehow wind up with an incorrect one and refuse to change no matter how many times I reboot them.  My "work around" for this is to turn the device off, create an IP assignment for the Moto e4 with that wrong IP, then power on the Moto e4.  Aha, the Moto gets that IP.  Now, when I power on the stuck device, IT finds that IP address "in use" and the Orbi gives it the correct IP.  Pain in the a**.

Good to see that our old devices will continue to live on.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7