Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple Ethernet back haul satellites - finally solved!

Nozzer
Aspirant

Multiple Ethernet back haul satellites - finally solved!

Not so much a problem now but an answer in case others are struggling like I have been.

I've got my Orbi Router acting as an AP (Access Point) connected to my Virgin cable. I've got three satellites, one wireless the other two using ethernet. However until today they've constantly switched from wifi to wired connection. With resulting performance issues as many others have reported.

However I turned off daisy chaining...and bingo, rock solid wired connection ever since. 

I'm guessing daisy chaining isn't smarter enough yet to figure out when to use the wired connection as the preference. With multiple satellites all capable of being a hop in that chain it feels like they connect to each other and not via the best path back to the router. The downside is the satellite which is only wifi connected struggles to reach the router which is why I wanted the daisy chain active. 

I'm on the latest firmware 2.1.4.16.

My other tip is when you change things and the devices reboot, be patient. It can take a good 15 minutes to settle down and I often find I need to turn wifi on/off on devices such as iPad's to get the connection stable.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Multiple Ethernet back haul satellites - finally solved!

Daisy Chain is only needed for satellites in wireless mode. Maybe NG and put in some information about disabling it when users what to connect them wired.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 4
Nozzer
Aspirant

That's what is frustrating for me. I need one wireless and cannot daisy chain it....
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Will have to either get it wired or move it close enough to the base router. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7