Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple IP Address Issue Using Orbi in AP Mode and XR1000 as Router

TheJam
Aspirant

Multiple IP Address Issue Using Orbi in AP Mode and XR1000 as Router

Hi there,

I'm having an issue at the moment where I have an XR1000 set up as my router with an RSR50 connected to it via Ethernet and setup in AP mode - 2 Satellites are also connected. I have the Orbi set to use a static IP address to the XR1000 which works fine. However, I've noticed that the Orbi is assigning IP addresses to devices, then my XR1000 is using another IP address for it. I tried reserving static IP addresses for devices connected to Orbi but still have the same issue.

I'm a bit confused, my understanding was that DHCP is disabled in AP mode and it uses the Router to assign IP addresses. Is there something I'm missing? I've updated the Orbi firmware to the latest version v2.7.4.24, reset the Orbi Router and Satellite's back to Factory settings and reapplied all my settings manually.

Thanks in advance for any help,

TheJam

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Multiple IP Address Issue Using Orbi in AP Mode and XR1000 as Router

This is correct. In AP mode, the Orbi is not supposed to issue IPs.

Do you observe the devices changing IPs?

Message 2 of 5
TheJam
Aspirant

Hey, it took awhile actually but finally changed to the IP address I expected it to. I don't have settings for DHCP Lease Renewal on my Router and I'm not sure what the default is but I'm guessing it's going to due to that taking awhile

Message 3 of 5
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TheJam,

I understand that your devices are being assigned an IP address from the Orbi system that is configured for AP mode. @CrimpOn is correct, in AP mode router functions are disabled.  The Orbi device will not able to assign IP addresses. Toggle the Orbi device from AP mode -> router mode ->AP mode.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team  

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@TheJam wrote:

Hey, it took awhile actually but finally changed to the IP address I expected it to. I don't have settings for DHCP Lease Renewal on my Router and I'm not sure what the default is but I'm guessing it's going to due to that taking awhile

This phenomenon has come up in other contexts.  My impression is that there is something about the DHCP renewal process that does not match what humans expect to happen.  i.e. Once a device has received an IP address using DHCP, when it sends a request to renew the IP, Netgear's DHCP implementation will say, "sure. keep it. have a nice day."  when what we expect is that the DHCP server will say, "wait a minute, dumbo.  you don't get to use that IP address any more. Use this one instead."

So, it was not the Orbi continuing to assign IP addresses, it was the XR1000 saying, "fine with me."  At some point, it looks like things got "worked out."

The DHCP server code is not something that users can inspect, so there is no way to verify what is going on.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7