Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multiple Orbi devices with Router set up use AP question

Greystorm64
Apprentice

Multiple Orbi devices with Router set up use AP question

I have an RBR50, RBS50 & RBS40 all configured and running in my house.  

Unfortunatley I am forced to switch ISP's, and the ISP will only work with its modem/router combo.

I am ok with that, since its GIG Fiber to the house, but I want to turn off the Wifi Radio's on the ISP router, turn my RBR50 into bridge mode and just use my ORBI devices as the WiFi.

Do I need to do anything special to the Satalites?  when I configure the RBR50 for bridge mode - it basically turns it into an AccessPoint which is what the Satalites are.  

Do the RBS50 & RBS40 still work with the RBR50 the same way?  I assume I turn off DHCP, DNS, etc on the RBR50 and let the ISP router handle all that.

I just want to make sure my current Wifi Mesh works the same way with no issues.  

Any suggestions?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the newer ISP modem/Router combo? 

Modem Combo Units: Orbi doesn't support bridge mode. Different feature in other routers. 
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

You should need to reconfigure or re-sync the satellites when you change to AP mode. If anything, I would turn OFF the satellites, configure AP mode on the router first, apply and save and reboot. Then make sure you have internet thru the Orbi AP base first. If good, turn ON the satellites. They should connect with out issue. If needed, try to re-sync if something happens. 

Message 2 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@Greystorm64 You do not need to turn off DHCP, DNS, or configure anything on Orbi or the satellites.  Just switch Orbi to Access Point mode and choose whether to set Orbi's IP address manually or have Orbi obtain an IP address via DHCP from your new router.  Your Orbi will continue to provide the same WiFi coverage as before. Your new router should assign IP addresses to the satellites as well.  I use DHCP IP address reservations in my third party router for the Orbi "router" and my two satellites.  That way I always know where to go to log into them.

Message 3 of 6
Greystorm64
Apprentice

the new ISP router is a Calix 844G. 

Unfortunatly, if I want to bridge the Calix, the ISP is requireing a dedicated IP address and a DMZ.

So, I disabled all the radio's on the Calix so no WiFi there, I turned the Orbi into the AP mode. 

I am a bit disapointed.  the Orbi's aren't giving me the throughput I should be getting. 

I have a couple systems hardwired to the new Calix, and I an getting just about a Gig up/down.  but via the Orbi, only high 200's up/down.  Even the the "speed test" on the RBR50 is showing ~800 up/down.

I have reset everything, tried again, and alas.  still only mid to high 200's on any WiFi device - 5 Ghz

Message 4 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Your WiFi speeds will depend on the capabilities of your WiFi devices.  You also need a test method that uses multiple parallel streams to see maximum throughput. 

Have you ever seen more than 200 Mbps on your devices?

I get between 560 and 630 Mbps on a 2018 MacBook Pro with Orbi in AP mode.  An iPhone 7+ about gives about 470.  My 2011 MacBook Pro was around 200 Mbps.  

You wont't see more throughput than about 650 Mbps on Orib on any WiFi device, even under perfect sonditions.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Also be sure to test wired speeds before doing any wireless speed testing. Current wireless standards can't perform as well as wired LAN cable testing. Besure that your not enabling QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls after doing a factory reset. These will slow the performance down. On 1g ISPs Qos isn't realy needed. 

I've also found that PC CPU configuration also can effect speed testing. I have a couple of dual core PCs, 1 from 10 years ago, still runs great, however can't see anything near 900Mb on wired testing. Same goes for my Mac Book Pro 2008. They max out at around 200-300Mb. Now if I use my Mac Mini 2012 quad core, I see 900Mb on wired testing. So this is something to keep in mind. 

@Greystorm64 wrote:

the new ISP router is a Calix 844G. 

Unfortunatly, if I want to bridge the Calix, the ISP is requireing a dedicated IP address and a DMZ.

So, I disabled all the radio's on the Calix so no WiFi there, I turned the Orbi into the AP mode. 

I am a bit disapointed.  the Orbi's aren't giving me the throughput I should be getting. 

I have a couple systems hardwired to the new Calix, and I an getting just about a Gig up/down.  but via the Orbi, only high 200's up/down.  Even the the "speed test" on the RBR50 is showing ~800 up/down.

I have reset everything, tried again, and alas.  still only mid to high 200's on any WiFi device - 5 Ghz

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7