Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multiple Orbi routers

mscofield
Aspirant

Multiple Orbi routers

Is it possible to purchase a second Orbi router and run it in AP mode to further extend the reach in a large house.

When attempting to connect a second satilte in basement no connection. I do have CAT 5 run to the basement, hence my question about a second router.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
st_shaw
Master

If possible, it would be better to move the router to a central location in the house that allowed connection to all satellite locations.  If you have wires in place, can you move the router to a better location? You didn't say what type of service you have, but if you have cable or DSL the router could be on a different floor than the modem.

Message 2 of 8
mscofield
Aspirant

I am talking 5000 sq feet on each level. the basement has a CAT5 connection available, but when i moved the second satellite down to the basement no go. As an alternative can the satellite be plug into the CAT5 thru to the router?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 8
st_shaw
Master

You cannot wire the satellite. There's a chance this will be added in a future firmware release.

You could tray a second Orbi in the basement, but it's unknown whether the backhaul signals from two Orbis will coexist without interference.

Message 4 of 8
cyberprashant
Luminary

you can run two orbi systems - to ensure the backhaul channels do not collide I suggest you manually set the channels far apart - i.e. 1 on first set of orbi and 11 on the other orbi.    Using a network analyzer tool the hidden channels seem to parallel on the same channels as the main ssid. 

Message 5 of 8
rhester72
Virtuoso

Backhaul is on a fixed frequency range independent of client connections.  There is a very good chance there will be overlap between the two systems.

Rodney

Message 6 of 8
st_shaw
Master

There is a hidden 2.4 GHz signal that follows the client radio channel selections, as @cyberprashant indicated.  However, as @rhester72 said, the 5 GHz backhaul does not change with Orbi settings, and that's what matters most.

You also don't have the ability to change the channel used by the 5 GHz client radio (at least not on my system in the US.)  The channel choices are 36, 40, 44, and 48.  These are all members of a single 80 MHz channel, and changing the selection doesn't change the 80 MHz channel used by the Orbi for client connections.  So there will likely be overlap on the client radio as well.

Message 7 of 8
cyberprashant
Luminary

@st_shaw wrote:

There is a hidden 2.4 GHz signal that follows the client radio channel selections, as @cyberprashant indicated.  However, as @rhester72 said, the 5 GHz backhaul does not change with Orbi settings, and that's what matters most.

You also don't have the ability to change the channel used by the 5 GHz client radio (at least not on my system in the US.)  The channel choices are 36, 40, 44, and 48.  These are all members of a single 80 MHz channel, and changing the selection doesn't change the 80 MHz channel used by the Orbi for client connections.  So there will likely be overlap on the client radio as well.

@DarrenM any possible fixes for this on the horizon?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7