Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multiple RBK53 systems in parallel - do they disturb each other?

Alpenbazi
Follower

Multiple RBK53 systems in parallel - do they disturb each other?

Hi everybody! I'm new to the Orbi family. I looked around here for quite a while, but didn't find a post answering my question.

Current setup: mid-size hotel, a single access point (AP) on every floor (ground/1st/2nd/3rd) connected to central ISP router via ethernet. WLAN is - you might guess it - pretty bad with increasing distance to the APs on each floor.

My plan: use 4 RBK53 systems in parallel, one for each floor (or even more, if necessary). In total 4 routers and 8 satellites. Each Orbi router (configured as access point) connected to central ISP router via already present ethernet. The 2 associated satellites belonging to each router connected via WiFi to the Orbi router on the same floor.

My question: is this a good idea? My concern is, if I use 4 (or even more) Orbi RBK53 systems (each consisting of a router and 2 satellites) in parallel: do they disturb each other?

One more question: if I do so, should I use a special configuration to support this setup - maybe manually assign different WiFi channels to the systems on different floors?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Would NOT be recommended. RBK50 series are designed for home environments. Not for hotels. 

You may want to check out Orbi Pro and see if these could work:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

This sort of screams out for a professional WiFi installer to do a survey of the building and recommend a solution.  Some random factors:

• How big is "mid size"?
  • Shape and dimensions of the building are important.
  • Hotel construction often involves LOTS of concrete (at least many of the hotels I have seen under construction)  Sometimes the walls between rooms are concrete.  The more concrete, the harder WiFi is to deploy.
  • Yes, assigning specific channels to the 2.4G WiFi can help reduce interference, but the 5G channels are limited.  The Orbi 5Gbackhaul channel is the same on every system.  Unless the floors are all thick concrete, there could be interference.
  • Residential Orbi products are not especially easy to mount in a commercial environment (where ceiling mounts are very common).
  • Residential Orbi products all require electrical power at each location. Those commercial units are almost always powered through the PoE cable connection which solves two issues at the same time: (1) not using WiFi bandwidth for backhaul to the router and (2) providing power in a concealed way.

Hotel WiFi has become an important consideration for travellers, so improving WiFi is a good idea.  The 2016 residential Orbi product may not be the best solution.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7