Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple Streaming devices keep dropping connection

MJMBJ
Aspirant

Multiple Streaming devices keep dropping connection

I have multiple streaming devices that keep dropping connection.   Apple TV (roiginal), Roku TV (2 of these), Roku box.

All four of these devices lose connection to the orbi system.  The Apple TV happens intermittently during usage.   The Roku devices happen every time I turn them on, so they apparently lose connection when they are turned off and then can't reconnect automatically.

Is this a problem with competition between the Orbit satelite and the Orbi base?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Multiple Streaming devices keep dropping connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 8
MJMBJ
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded? - V2.5.1.16
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? - Charter Communications Model E31T2V1

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? - 4,000
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

-  closer than 30 feet in a direct line, going through wood floor

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. - 2.4ghz is permanently set at Channel 1.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? - I live on 3.6 acres so the nearest neighbor is quite a ways away

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings - just turned beamforming and MIMO on, WMM was already on

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). - Armor was already disabled, turned off Daisy chain, fast roaming was off, IPv6 was off, set to 40Mhz.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? - I just bought this Orbi about 2 months ago.  I have not performed a factory reset since setting it up.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

"closer than 30 feet in a direct line, going through wood floor" 

Maybe too close. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 8
MJMBJ
Aspirant

Moved it 10 feet further away, Backhaul status changed from Poor to Good.

Made the rest of the changes and waiting to see how things go for the next day or so.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, let us know. 

Message 6 of 8
MJMBJ
Aspirant

Problem persists:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, let us know. 

3 devices continue to behave this way

TCL 55 inch Roku TV 

TCL 65 inch Roku TV 

Apple TV - 1st generation

Message 7 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

Try forgetting th network on those 3 devices and find the WIFI again and re-login.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7