Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multiple orbi routers in same house

Stpeteguy
Aspirant

Multiple orbi routers in same house

Hi

I have a 2500 ft 1 level condo , lots of concrete & glass.

My router is at end of unit w 2 satelites , 1 in middle & one at other end. I lose signal intermittenly , Spectrum(no choice).

I have an additional orbi RBR50 router & 2 more satelites, can I use 2 routers in 1 house?

Pros?

Cons?

Best set up if possible?

THANKS!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@Stpeteguy wrote:

Hi

I have a 2500 ft 1 level condo , lots of concrete & glass. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

My router is at end of unit w 2 satelites , 1 in middle & one at other end. I lose signal intermittenly , Spectrum(no choice).

I have an additional orbi RBR50 router & 2 more satelites, can I use 2 routers in 1 house? Possible only as two separate network and SSIDs. 

Pros?

Cons? RBRs can't work in satellite mode, only router or AP mode. Having two wifi signal in close proximity could be problematic. One would need to be on channel 1 while the other would need to be on channel 11 on 2.4Ghz. Same goes for 5Ghz. 

Best set up if possible?

Add the additional satellites to current main system.

Message 2 of 5

Add more satellites?

Message 3 of 5
bobermj
Aspirant

I think my situation is similar -- and I do need some advice.

i also have the RBR50 and three satelliates set up -- in a 3000 sq ft house (two stories). 

But I have HUGE yard below the house (we're on a hill) ... so I want to connect the RBR50 router to the router I have down there -- and then add two satellites. 

Will I be able lto see and work with all this in the phone app? WIll the phone app recognize that I have two separate ORBI systems running? Please advise ... thanks!

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Stpeteguy wrote:

Hi

I have a 2500 ft 1 level condo , lots of concrete & glass.

I have an additional orbi RBR50 router & 2 more satelites, can I use 2 routers in 1 house?

Pros?

Cons?

Best set up if possible?

I agree with @FURRYe38 that adding the two satellites to the existing router is the best option without extensive work. Having the modem at one end of a building is the root of your problem.  Adding a second router in the same location just makes the problem worse, not better.  Ideally, an ethernet cable could be used to move the router to a more central location where the (now) four satellites could be placed in a "star" around it.  Orbi "50" series have a lot of backhaul bandwidth, so "Daisy Chaining" additional satellites is not too bad.  I would hope you could get two satellites to connect directly to the router and then one (or maybe two) Daisy Chained off of them.  The one at the "other end" may be too far away.  Half of its signal is blasting into the wall and outside (not doing anything for you).  Might start with moving that satellite closer so that it is about 20 ft away from the far wall.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7