Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple problems- RBR-50

CaraBethP
Tutor

Multiple problems- RBR-50

Good morning- My tech experience level is medium. I was a tech director of a school but never worked with wireless. I have several questions. Hope someone will have patience with my detailed explanation and give me some advice.

I purchased our Orbi RBR50 January 2018. We have a two story home so I also bought a satellite. It has been an outstanding wireless system and has worked flawlessly using the default settings and doing nothing special to it.

Two weeks ago there was an electrical storm. It knocked out internet in our entire neighborhood. When Spectrum came to repair, the tech guy said there was a connection outside that was damaged and he repaired it.  My desktop worked fine, but we had no wireless access. I resetup the Orbi's with no success. I called Spectrum again and that agent worked via internet magic to resetup the wireless on our Spectrum router. The only difference is- she set it up dual band where we had only been using it at 2.4 ghz. The wireless had previously been named "cardinal." She named the wireless network "cardinal" and "cardinal-5". 

I did not know much about using the 5 ghz, so we have not connected any of our devices to that wireless.  BUT- using the Orbi app, I see multiple devices connected to the 5ghz wireless. For example, my phone. My phone settings say it is on cardinal, not cardinal-5. The Orbi app says it is on the 5. Screenshot attached. wireless devices.jpg

Question 1- Why is the device list showing that things are connected to the 5 ghz network when I did not change any settings?  Is that an important thing?

My wired desktop has consistently achieved appropriate speeds. But our wireless has been inconsistent. I cannot figure out what the problem is. I don't know if it is Spectrum or if it is the Orbi.

I re-setup both the Orbi and its satellite (second time). Since doing that I can see both of them up and running.

The Orbi app works fine on my phone. I cannot login to the Orbi via my desktop even after clearing the browsing data. I was going to look at the settings but haven't been able to do that.

Yesterday, I couldn't print to my wireless printer via my desktop.  I did a hard reset of our Spectrum router under the direction of Spectrum phone support. She was watching it and it did not fully come back online for an hour. She sent a tech representative who tested speeds, rolled his eyes said everything was fine. He told me it must be my Orbi.

This is an example of how inconsistent our wireless is- 30 minutes ago we tested the speed of each quadrant of the house. The speeds everywhere were normal. 10 minutes later the wireless speed dipped to a quarter the normal speed.  See attachedtest.jpg

Questions:

How do I know what/where my problem is. I considered doing a factory reset but was concerned with doing the upgrades. I've seen scarey messages about that.

Why can't I login to the Orbi from my desktop?

How could I "test" our Orbi for mechanical defects? How can I problem solve?

If I have to buy a new one, can you recommend a good model? We have 1200 sq ft on each of 2 floors. Our wireless use is for 2 non-gamers.  Secondary- if the ones we have now are still good, I would like to get a 3rd one for an area with weak signal. Should I buy the same model?

While composing this message I checked my Orbi App. It said it couldn't connect with the Orbi's. See attached. 5 minutes later it asked for the password and logged in. If I knew about this stuff it wouldn't frustrate me as much.

Orbi.jpg

Thank you!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CaraBethP
Tutor

Re: Multiple problems- RBR-50

I finally have my problem fixed. It was all Spectrum and they had to visit 5x to get stuff working. The final quality control guy told us that Orbi is the best technology to use on a home network.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router and wifi here by chance? 

This would be a double NAT condition and additional WiFi signals which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 7
CaraBethP
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What FW is currently loaded? 2.3.1.44

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router and wifi here by chance? Technicolor TC8717T /  Yes, built in WIFI /

Ive seen your recommended advice (similar to below) on other posts. I want to try them. But I am unable to login to the Orbi via a web browser on my desktop even after clearning my web cache.  I don't know about the router question.

I cannot try any of the below until I can login to the Orbi on my desktop.

Thank you!!!!!

This would be a double NAT condition and additional WiFi signals which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 3 of 7
CaraBethP
Tutor

I can login to the Orbi app on my phone. It does disconnect intermittently.

I cannot login to the Orbi login online on my desktop (which is connected to wireless) or on an iPad which is connected to the Orbi's wireless. I see both devices on the Orbi app so I know they are connected to the Orbi. It makes me think something changed in the setup, like when the Spectrum tech went into our modem and resetup the wireless, even though she used the same name/password maybe that has caused me not be able to login into it online??

Would a factory reset maybe correct this? I have unplugged everything from both of them, rebooted the ISP modem and then plugged the Orbi and satellite back in.  They IMMEDIATELY came back on and connected, work and send good signal... and then will fall out for a few minutes and come back.

You asked about the size of our home- 2 floors, each about 1200 feet. One Orbi upstairs, one down. For over a year the easy setup has worked fine. Never a problem.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

For ease of access to the Orbi, you can do a factory reset and with a wired PC connected to the Orbi can walk thru the setup wizard. You can do this even with out the Orbi connected to the modem. 

IF your modem already has a router and wifi built in, youll need to try one of the options with the modem first, before connecting the Orbi. 

You may want to ask your ISP for help with the modem...

Message 5 of 7
CaraBethP
Tutor

I finally have my problem fixed. It was all Spectrum and they had to visit 5x to get stuff working. The final quality control guy told us that Orbi is the best technology to use on a home network.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad they got the problem fixed. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@CaraBethP wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7