Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My AC2200 connection to satellite became POOR

andy_HK
Aspirant

My AC2200 connection to satellite became POOR

I just buy the AC2200 for just one month.   Everything is fine until today, the connection between main and satellite sudden dropped from 5G to 2.4G and the connection from satellite to device dropped from 240Mbps to 20-30Mbps.   I had tried to turn off and turn on the machine for both, but cannot help and recover, any suggestion?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 16
andy_HK
Aspirant

FW is V2.2.1.210.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know about the other suggestions as you go. 

Message 4 of 16
andy_HK
Aspirant

It is connected to service provider fiber modem providing 1Gbps.  Speed test still at 9xxM.

My host and satellite is just 10 ft away with line of sight through some window only.  It can see each other via glass.

I am using a Wifi analysis, 2.4G, I am at channel 2, other channel 3-10 is very crowded.  5G is auto.

Message 5 of 16
andy_HK
Aspirant

I have no experience to enable and disable all these features.

The strange thing is both set working well in the last one month and just starting today.

I just wonder if the satellite is already downed or the 5G backhaul channel is down such that all connection via satellite is downed.

The main host unit still work fine at other phone/ipad.

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# and Brand of this modem? 

What is the distance between the Orbi router and it's satellite from each other. 

I recommend channel 1 or 11, 13 if you see this channel. 

Message 7 of 16

There does seems to be a bug re satellites that have not moved and been fine for months suddenly showing as poor connection.

I’ve had this after power cut and after reboot (latest firmware).

Only way I’ve resolved it is to:

Switch off satellite.
Use router gui to remove the ‘disconnected’ satellite.
Factory reset satellite
Use the add satellite function in router gui.

Just a reset of the satellite doesn’t work - it just comes back as if not reset. The remove process at the router does seem to reset it though (I suspect otherwise the first thing the router does is sync the satellite as it was pre reset, including whatever the bug is).
Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What the current setting on the Daisy chain setting on the UI? 

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Yes when you reset the satellite, it goes back to factory settings and has to be re-synced. 

@Christian_R

@Bullyterrier wrote:
There does seems to be a bug re satellites that have not moved and been fine for months suddenly showing as poor connection.

I’ve had this after power cut and after reboot (latest firmware).

Only way I’ve resolved it is to:

Switch off satellite.
Use router gui to remove the ‘disconnected’ satellite.
Factory reset satellite
Use the add satellite function in router gui.

Just a reset of the satellite doesn’t work - it just comes back as if not reset. The remove process at the router does seem to reset it though (I suspect otherwise the first thing the router does is sync the satellite as it was pre reset, including whatever the bug is).

Message 9 of 16
andy_HK
Aspirant

Sorry  for the late update as it was really busy in the last few days.

Thanks for all the reply and suggestion.

I had tried to reset to factory default setting as well as power down , then set to country of usage from Default (Austrilia) to USA, then Enable BEAMFORMING, Enable Fast Roaming per local Netgear Technical Support.

I cannot go back to high speed transmission any more.   I just 20M-40M instead of last one month of 280-300M.   Besides the Gigabyte wired connection always show dis-connection, too.

As a conclusion, the setting shown the connection between Host to Satellite-1 although showing back 5G or even GOOD connection after the Reset and change setting.    The speed still keep low at only 10% as compare to last one month.   Further the Wired Gigabyte Ethernet port of Satellite-1 sometimes shown dis-connection.

I suspect the Satellite-1 5G antenna is not working well with HOST any more after one month of service.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to contact NG support and ask about an RMA...This unit seems faulty.

Message 11 of 16
andy_HK
Aspirant

Yes, I am going to take the pair to NG service center.

Another finding yesterday was even the backhaul connection showing GOOD after the setting suggested by NG hot line, the data rate at 5G was dropped to 0.1M which is 1-3% of the data rate as compare to the past month.

When backhaul switched to 2.4G with GOOD condition, data rate go up to 20-30M which is 10% compare to last month.

Still the Gigabyte port of Satellite sometimes became dis-connect with few times/day.

Believe 5G backhaul channel was down !

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 13 of 16
AllanSor
Tutor

Have seen this "poor connection" in 9 client installations who autoupdated to 2.2.1.210

Fix is to turn off SAT, remove SAT form web gui, factory reset SAT and add it again.

4 out off 11 clients have recieved permanent fix "Linksys Velop" 7 more to be fixed next week - game over. 

Message 14 of 16
andy_HK
Aspirant

Just an update for today.

I carried the pair (two unit) to the local NGear technical support.   They tested both on a small table, everything fine with very high data rate.  He examine some register.  On the way going to home with the unit, I guess might be they had reset some register for me or the unit turn bad after it run for days and hot.

After back home, I found it is the same immediately.  Then I replied the testing again.

I put both unit in my living room, no blocking, within 0.3m can achieve the same speed as in NGear office.  if go to 1m, download dropped 10% but upload dropped50%.  Above 3m, download dropped 90%, upload 95%, still can see each other without any obstacle.

I am surprise the signal dropped so much even in open space.

Still need to go to NGear office again .....  Sad, Bad.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Either this is bad HW or you have someting in your environment that could be causing some problems as well. 

Keep us posted. 

@andy_HK wrote:

Just an update for today.

I carried the pair (two unit) to the local NGear technical support.   They tested both on a small table, everything fine with very high data rate.  He examine some register.  On the way going to home with the unit, I guess might be they had reset some register for me or the unit turn bad after it run for days and hot.

After back home, I found it is the same immediately.  Then I replied the testing again.

I put both unit in my living room, no blocking, within 0.3m can achieve the same speed as in NGear office.  if go to 1m, download dropped 10% but upload dropped50%.  Above 3m, download dropped 90%, upload 95%, still can see each other without any obstacle.

I am surprise the signal dropped so much even in open space.

Still need to go to NGear office again .....  Sad, Bad.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7