Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Ethernet Backhaul Setup

SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@gekins wrote:

Hi, I've run into the same mind numbing backhaul issues you have described and REALLY want to update to the beta 2.2.1.204 before I lose more hair trying to get this to function properly.  Can you please let me know how to get the update?

Thank you!!

As @FURRYe38 posted above, here is the link.  Follow the instructions on how to get added to the list.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 26 of 46
Flash008
Luminary

Do the Orbi Pro models work with 2.2.1.204?

Message 27 of 46
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@Flash008, I believe the beta firmware is for the RBR50 and RBS50.  Not sure if other models are supported. 

Message 28 of 46
striola
Guide

My RBR20 and RBS20 updated to latest firmware and so far so good. Ethernet backhaul seems to be working properly now! I’ll post an update if I run into any issues, but I’m cautiously optimistic.
Message 29 of 46
joelg
Aspirant

I have almost the same set up as you.  Do you have xfininty alarm?  I was told if i put the xfiinty XB6 in bridge mode that my alarm will not communicate.  I think it uses a hidden wifi channel to communicate with the modem.  I noteced there was a RJ45 jack on the back of my touchpanel.  Maybe i can hard wire it?

Message 30 of 46
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@joelg wrote:

I have almost the same set up as you.  Do you have xfininty alarm?  I was told if i put the xfiinty XB6 in bridge mode that my alarm will not communicate.  I think it uses a hidden wifi channel to communicate with the modem.  I noteced there was a RJ45 jack on the back of my touchpanel.  Maybe i can hard wire it?

I do have the Xfinity Home alarm system, but my touchpad came with a dedicated netgear router that communicates wirelessly with the touchpad.  I have had this netgear home alarm router connected to my personal router (meaning it is behind my firewall) without ever having an issue with connectivity.  If you have Xfinity cameras connected to your security system, then you will have to setup DMZ for your home alarm router so that all ports are accessible by Comcast.

If you did not get this separate netgear router when your alarm system was initially setup, and the XB6 is communicating with your touchpad directly, then you will have the issue of losing the home alarm connectivity when switching to bridge mode.   

As for the RJ45 jack on the back of the touchpad, I have tried it and it has never worked for me.

Message 31 of 46
LEDMAN888
Aspirant

Hi -your network is very similar to the one I setup in my home.

when I log into the router as admin, all the clients indicate that’s they are connected to the router, and not the satellite.

Do I need to change some of the router settings because my two satellites are connected wireline through the Ethernet backhaul in my home?

Sorry if I’m not making sense, I’m just a dad trying to placate the family complaining about slow WiFi.

Message 32 of 46
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@LEDMAN888 wrote:

Hi -your network is very similar to the one I setup in my home.

when I log into the router as admin, all the clients indicate that’s they are connected to the router, and not the satellite.

Do I need to change some of the router settings because my two satellites are connected wireline through the Ethernet backhaul in my home?

Sorry if I’m not making sense, I’m just a dad trying to placate the family complaining about slow WiFi.

Hi @LEDMAN888, no worries.  I understand your issue, as I am experiencing it in the GUI myself with my setup.  Ever since the recent update, this has been an issue.  Because it is wired to the router, any device connected to the network either to the Satellite or Main unit, will show as being connected to the Orbi Router.  If you login directly to either of the Satellites (use their IP address), the GUI will properly show the connected devices to that unit.  Also, I have noticed that if you connect via wireless backhaul, you will see that the Main Orbi GUI shows the proper connection states.  Netgear will need to figure this out.

As for your slow internet issue, what settings do you currently have?  Make sure that daisy chain is disabled.  Try disabling MU-MIMO as well (I have it on as I have a few devices that are acapable of MU-MIMO).  Also, set your wi-fi channels to fixed channels rather than auto.  I used my Mac's wireless diagnostic software to find which channels my neighbors were using so I could select an unused (or not as used) channel.  Flooded wifi channels will decrease your speed.  Also, I disabled the setting in Advanced Wireless settings relating to neighbor coexistence (I cannot remember what it is called at the moment).  It forces your 2.4Ghz radio to use 40MHz channel width.  This really helped my 2.4Ghz devices.  I have Fast Roaming on as my Apple devices worked better in this configuration with that setting enabled.  Hope this helps you troubleshoot.

Message 33 of 46
LEDMAN888
Aspirant

SeaMonkey80 - that was super helpful.

I really appreciate your input.

I disabled the daisy-chain, MIMO, and 2.4Ghz settings.

And I did login directly to the satellites to see what which devices were connected to the satelite..

Everything seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for your help.

One other question.  I have 3 Denon Wireless Amps sitting in a closet on the second floor.

I have my Obi router sitting on the first floor, one satellite on the second floor, and one satellite on the third floor.  Is it normal for the Amps to be connecting randomly between the router on the first floor and the satellite on the second floor?

Truly thankful...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 34 of 46
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

Thanks for your help.

One other question.  I have 3 Denon Wireless Amps sitting in a closet on the second floor.

I have my Obi router sitting on the first floor, one satellite on the second floor, and one satellite on the third floor.  Is it normal for the Amps to be connecting randomly between the router on the first floor and the satellite on the second floor?

Truly thankful...

Glad everything is working! 

For your 3 Denon Wireless Amps, my guess would be that they are just close enough to form a stable connection to either the satellite or the router.  Do you have Fast Roaming enabled? Try disabling it as this could be making them "jump" between the units.  You could also try moving your second floor satellite (or first floor router) further away, or relocating the Amps closer to one of the units. Are you seeing any issues with them jumping between the units? Meaning, are there any issues with speed or connectivity to the network?

Message 35 of 46
LEDMAN888
Aspirant

To be fair, i haven't experienced any problems with the music amps switching between router and satellite.

I guess I shouldn't complain since everything is working fine.

By logging directly into the satellites, i can tell which devices are connected to each satellite.

So i guess, by default, all the other devices are connected to the router.

It would be nice if they could somehow make that distinction when you log into the router.

Oh well.

By the way, do you work for Netgear?

You were 1,000X more helpful than the customer support person i got. 

Thanks a million!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 36 of 46
ekhalil
Master

@SeaMonkey80 wrote:

............... Ever since the recent update, this has been an issue.  Because it is wired to the router, any device connected to the network either to the Satellite or Main unit, will show as being connected to the Orbi Router.  If you login directly to either of the Satellites (use their IP address), the GUI will properly show the connected devices to that unit.  Also, I have noticed that if you connect via wireless backhaul, you will see that the Main Orbi GUI shows the proper connection states.  Netgear will need to figure this out.

This applies only to wired devices when using wired backhaul.

I have wired backhaul. All my wired devices -whether connected to router or satellite- are showing as connected to the router, but the wireless devices are correctly shown as connected to router or satellite in the UI.

Message 37 of 46
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@ekhalil wrote:

I have wired backhaul. All my wired devices -whether connected to router or satellite- are showing as connected to the router, but the wireless devices are correctly shown as connected to router or satellite in the UI.

Interesting.  I can tell you for a certainty that this is not the case on my setup.  It may be time for a complete factory reset to see if that changes.  For now, all of my devices, whether wireless or wired connected to the satellite show up as being "wired" to the router in the GUI.

Message 38 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

This maybe due to the fact that when the back haul is wired, the lan detection considers anything coming across the wired as a wired connections, even if wireless to the satellite. This also happens on non MESH systems with routers and LAN connected wireless APs. Devices show up as a wired connection since the main connection is WIRED. This would be normal behavior. Not sure if NG can make the FW determine to show the difference if a wireless device is connected to a wired RBS unit. I know that my RBS is wired and when wireless devices are connected, it shows up on the RBS as whats connected, however on the router, they show as wired devices coming from the wired RBS. 

Message 39 of 46
michel1918
Tutor

Ouch.
This is not the kind of story I was looking for. I am thinking about buying the Orbi RBK50 with 2 sattelites, and with the price of 495 I would expect things to work nice.
Esepcially with everything wired together I assumed the only real thing the Orbi has to do is to 'mesh'.
I now have an Engenius Access point which works ok but doesn't cover the entire house 100%, and I really thought with spending 500 euro's, I could stay away from the hell of "I'm wasting hours of time rebooting routers, and trying to get everything running which lasts for a day or two, then I'm running around the house plugging and unplugging devices hoping that one of the power cycles will fix it."
I've just tried a Devolo WiFi powerline system (300 euro's) but this also gave me the '90%' of the time experience, and the other 10% it was resetting and replugging devices.

Message 40 of 46
michel1918
Tutor

Thanks very much for your clear schema.
What I noticed is that everything is 'behind' the Orbi router. Is that necessary?
Do you know if it also works if for instance the 'TL-SG108' switch would have been between the 'XFinity XB6' and the Orbi router?
The reason I ask is this: I had the setup that I had a cable directly from the modem into the Orbi router. When I plugged in my TV-settop-box in the Orbi, I had hickups in the TV stream. So it surprised me a bit that you managed to get it working with 'all your internet devices' behind the Orbi router.

Message 41 of 46
ekhalil
Master

@ekhalil wrote:

I have now the latest beta software and it looks that this is taken care of in that software. So all wired and wireless devices attached to the satellites will show up as connected to the satellites in the Orbi app and the web GUI. The same applies to the router's devices.

Message 42 of 46
ekhalil
Master

@michel1918 wrote:

Do you know if it also works if for instance the 'TL-SG108' switch would have been between the 'XFinity XB6' and the Orbi router?

If you connect the switch to the ISP router then you can't connect the satellites to (unless you want Orbi to be in AP Mode).

@michel1918 wrote:

The reason I ask is this: I had the setup that I had a cable directly from the modem into the Orbi router. When I plugged in my TV-settop-box in the Orbi, I had hickups in the TV stream. So it surprised me a bit that you managed to get it working with 'all your internet devices' behind the Orbi router.

What is the type of the TV settop-box that you have? Does it do any IGMP multicasting?

Message 43 of 46
michel1918
Tutor

Yes, I do want it to work like an AP, so that woudln't be a problem.

The settop box I'll have to check, the ' Does it do any IGMP multicasting' is not in my vocubalary 🙂

Message 44 of 46
ekhalil
Master

@michel1918 wrote:

The settop box I'll have to check, the ' Does it do any IGMP multicasting' is not in my vocubalary 🙂

You can read about multicast here: https://kb.netgear.com/000037833/What-are-multicast-and-IGMP-snooping-and-how-do-I-configure-them-on...

Message 45 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi doesn't like managed or green ethernet switches. 

Your model switch seems to support green tech and some IGMP protocols seen on managed switches:

• Green Ethernet technology saves power consumption
  • IEEE 802.3x flow control provides reliable data transfer
  • Steel housing, desktop or wall-mounting design
  • Support 802.1p/DSCP QoS and IGMP Snooping function

If you can disable these features, the switch may work with Orbi, if not, I recommend trying a switch that is not managed, or has any green ethernet features. NG's GS105/108 series should be reviewed.

@michel1918 wrote:

Thanks very much for your clear schema.
What I noticed is that everything is 'behind' the Orbi router. Is that necessary?

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7