Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Netgear Orbi RBK50 satellite drops wifi speed after evert 2 to 3 days

Sozon
Aspirant

My Netgear Orbi RBK50 satellite drops wifi speed after evert 2 to 3 days

My RBK50 orbi stellite speed drops from 94mbps to about 40mpbs every 2 to 3 days.

When I connect to satellite via ethernet I get full speed of 94mbps.

I have a line of 100mbps speed and I get 94mbps on the router and main unti.

After I reset the orbi system or change a setting via orbilogin the speed goes up to 94mbps again for a few days and then drops back.

p.s I use orbi main unit  as access point (not as router).

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 8
Sozon
Aspirant

My firmware version is V.2.5.1.8

I have tried all below suggestions and patern keeps on coming back. 

My sattelite wifi speed only (ethernet speed of the sattelite is fine) keeps dropping from 94mbps to abt 40mbps after 2-3 days.

One more thing I noticed is that wifi speed comes up again after changing any setting in the orbi interface (for example enable/disable MIMO or anything) probably because system restarts.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try updateing the FW on the system. 

RBS first then RBR lastly, factory reset and setup from scratch. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Message 4 of 8
Sozon
Aspirant

May I ask why the system says that my firmware is up to date and there are no updates available?

Also may I please ask whether you are an authorized Netgear Support employee or just a user?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes the system doesn't report newer FW. Users have the option of downloading and manually installing FW from NGs download site if they choose to do so. 

Message 6 of 8
Sozon
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

If assume that if I install the new firmware I will not have to go through each individual device in my house and touch any settings, right?

Also is there a need for factory reset? in the case of factory reset as well do I have to manually connect again all my devices to my orbi?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You shouldn't have to touch any devices. 

A factory reset maybe needed if you seen continued problems. If you do, just reset the RBR and RBS and setup the SSID name and PW used as before. Your devices will reconnect again. I recommend doing the reset after the FW is appiled and setup from scratch on the RBS and RBR. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7