Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Orbi RBR20 / AC2200 bounces connection multiple times a day

andyinatl
Tutor

My Orbi RBR20 / AC2200 bounces connection multiple times a day

Orbi AC2200 + 1 Satellite
Firmware (on both) = V2.3.5.30 currently (was V2.3.5.26)

Router = Arris SURFboard SB6141
Internet provider = Comcast

At multiple times of the day, the Orbi RBR20 / AC2200 mesh router will lose connection and bounce multiple times before stablizing.  This going down/up can occur as long as ~10 mins (guessing; I haven't timed it).  Also, I have a desktop system hardwire connected to the Orbi and, when the problem occurs, I have noted that it affects the wired internet connection as well.  

When the problem occurs, there are NO bands illuminated on the Orbi by which to troubleshoot.

The problem is NOT the Comcast internet connection to the Arris modem because there is an Ooma Telo VoIP product between the modem and the Orbi, and I do not lose VoIP connection (dial tone).  Prior to the Orbi mesh system, I used a Netgear AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Model R6400v2) in this exact same configuration and *NEVER* had a problem.  My LAN connection (wired & wireless), Ooma, Arris and Comcast internet have always been very stable.

I am hoping the issue is somehow configuration related, and that someone here can offer something that will fix the problem.  When it's working, it works great!  My problem, however, is it isn't reliable - it can begin bouncing anytime (such as today while I was on a Skype call for work).  If I do not get it stable soon, I will have to return it and find something else that is.

Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My Orbi RBR20 / AC2200 bounces connection multiple times a day

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back on. Then walk thru the setup wizard. 

Also try v16 FW update as well.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 10
andyinatl
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back on. Then walk thru the setup wizard. 

I did the FW update today (from V2.3.5.26 to V2.3.5.30), and considering the problem has occurred since, I am of the opinion that it didn't correct the problem.  When you say "factory reset and setup from scratch" and later say "walk thru the setup wizard", are you suggesting they are the same?  Going thru the setup wizard will do "factory reset and setup from scratch"?  Just seeking clarification since that's how I'm reading it (which doesn't sound quite right to me, honestly).

Also try v16 FW update as well.

It that the RBR20 Firmware Version 2.5.1.16 found on the Download page?  Just looking at the numbers, that would seem rather old (I don't know this; just an observation).  Are you suggesting the later firmware may have introduced the problem?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

They are less than 30 feet (10 yards) away, albeit they are separated by one floor.  BUT, the problem has nothing to do with the satellite - it's the primary that is bouncing.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

When I have my phone scan for networks, I see ~5-6 networks, some extenders + printers.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. Then walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR. 

v16 can be found here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

I would update the RBS and RBR then factory reset both then setup from scratch. 

Distance between RBR and RBS maybe too close. Having them too close can cause too much wifi over lap...

Message 4 of 10
andyinatl
Tutor

Ok, it took forever (it would NOT allow me to make any changes such as SSID or password on setup, and kept losing network connection) but after factory reset and new setup, I finally have 2.5.1.16 firmware on both primary and satellite.  As for your mention of the satellite possibly being too close, I do not think that is the case.  When I set these up initially, I tried to go a little bit further and the Orbi app couldn't find the satellite at all.  I think it's pretty much at it's optimum distance.

If you think this firmware will do the trick, I'll stick with this for now and see what happens.  Shouldn't take more than a day to find out.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Please look at the RBRs web page for status of the RBR. Obri app may not be as accurate as it has to rely on some mobile phone communications. Logging into the RBRs web page would be more accurate for RBS status. 

Sounds the the reset has help. I would ensure you make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again at some point. 

Keeping the distance at 30 feet has been found to be the best starting point for RBS. Farther is recommended as well if the building materials are of mostly wood and sheet rock. Keeping the wifi overlap is important. 

Let us know how it goes for you. 

Message 6 of 10
andyinatl
Tutor

Problem still exists.  Last evening, as I was about to show my wife a Vimeo video of my son's wedding (he'd just sent us a link), it began bouncing.  This was at a time that we're not often on the internet (9pm) so I cannot say if it often happens during this time of day -- only that it happened, and it evidently continues to happen.  

I am open to other suggestions.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you contact NG support for additional help and information regarding this. Ask about an RMA.

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Message 8 of 10
andyinatl
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I recommend you contact NG support for additional help and information regarding this. Ask about an RMA.

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Regretfully, I ended up returning the product to Costco and purchasiing a competitor's product of which I am having no problem.

Thank you @FURRYe38 for your attempt to assist.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found something that works. Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7