Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Orbi RBR20 loses internet connectivity more than twice a day

vcmouli
Aspirant

My Orbi RBR20 loses internet connectivity more than twice a day

I have a Orbi router that I purchased early this year.  It has been working fine until few weeks back when the internet connectivity with the modem more than twice a day.  Only option is for me to reboot the router and it works fine.  My modem works fine as I have internet connectivity with hardwired lines.

I even updated my firmware to the latest version 2.3.5.26 and that did not solve the problem.  I just changed my 2.4 GHz channel setting to 6.  Let me see if this fixes the issue, but I doubt it.

I also have Disney Circle and found few forums that there are some compatibility issues (I did not have the issue earlier).

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Re: My Orbi RBR20 loses internet connectivity more than twice a day

1. When the issue happens do your devices still have wifi and LAN connectivity but without internet access?
  2. When this issue happens, will the ring LED change to purple?
  3. When the issue happens, will you be able to login to the web GUI? If yes, then can you please go to >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> Internet Port >> CONNECTION STATUS and get the values indicated for the parameters "Lease Obtained" and "Lease Expires"
  4. Instead of rebooting the Router, have you just tried to pull out the ISP cable from Orbi's WAN port and plug it back after few seconds? Does this move fix the issue?

This will give us indication if the issue is related to the known ISP lease time issue. There is a suggested workaround for this issue.

Message 2 of 17
vcmouli
Aspirant

Hi ekhalil,

Thanks for the reply.  Here is response for your questions. 

1. Yes, my devices still have wifi and LAN connectivity, but no internet access.

2. I have not checked the LED color.  However, I noticed this morning when the issue happened, my satellite router ring was purple.

3. When the issue happens, I am unable to go into the web GUI at all.  However, I am able to connect on the phone app locally and reboot the router remotely.  Here are the values for the parameter when the connection is available.

Lease Obtained: 0 Days, 1 Hours, 0 Minutes

Lease Expires: 0 Days, 0 Hours, 41 Minutes

4. I have not tried to pull out the WAN port yet.  I will try it the next time when the issue happens and get back to you.

Message 3 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Thanks for the information.

Since you see the issue quite frequently (twice a day), it's worth testing the following fix and see if you will see any improvement.

There is no bad impact for the fix and you can always return back the old values.

Please do the following:

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400 (default original value)
    • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=720
    • root@RBR50:/# config commit

Message 4 of 17
vcmouli
Aspirant

I have changed the lease settings as proposed.  I did not encounter any issue for a day.  However, I need to check the connectivity over the weekend to ensure that connectivity is persistent.  Will post an update later.

Thanks

Message 5 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Sounds promising! Please let’s know things develop over the weekend then.
Good luck
Message 6 of 17
vcmouli
Aspirant

The issue started to happen again and it drops few times a day. Only difference this time is I don’t have to perform a reboot or plug out my Ethernet cable from Orbi. It come back after few mins
Message 7 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Please try to reduce the time further, please change the 720 in the command to 350 and repeat all commands again
Message 8 of 17
rgabby
Aspirant

ekhalil,

fter checking the Enable Telenet, you say to "Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above." However, when I do that I go straight to my Orbi account (doesn't ask me to sign in again) and I don't see a place to enter the "root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease". etc. Where would I enter that? There is no prompt. ?? And if I also have an RBR20, do I still enter "root@RBR50..."?

Message 9 of 17
rgabby
Aspirant

ekhalil,

I figured out how to enable MS Telnet on my computer, but when I enter "root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease" I get "Invalid Command"

Message 10 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@rgabby wrote:

ekhalil,

I figured out how to enable MS Telnet on my computer, but when I enter "root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease" I get "Invalid Command"

@rgabby the command is as follows:

config get wan_lease

The root@RBR50:/# is just the prompt that you should see, don't enter that part in the command.

Sorry for the confusion. 🙂

Message 11 of 17
vcmouli
Aspirant

Hi,

I reduced it further and the issue is still there.  It does not go down as often as it used to be.  But at a minimum once per day.

I also have a WiFi range extender and not sure if that is causing some IP conflicts (which it shouldn't as all of them are on dynamic IP).  I have disconnect the range extender yesterday and going to try it out for the next few days.

Thanks for all your help.

Message 12 of 17
vcmouli
Aspirant

The issue still exists.  I had to plug out my ethernet cable twice on the Orbi within a span of 2 hours yesterday.  Only Option I have now is to live with it or take it to Costco and return the product.  I am glad that I purchased it at Costco, since their return policy is much better.  I was surprised that Netgear just offers only 3 months support/warranty on an expensive product like this.  I am assuming it is one of their ways to get more revenue:(

Message 13 of 17
rgabby
Aspirant

@ekhalil : Root@RBR50:/# does not come up s a prompt. Maybe I’m using Telnet wrong (or the wrong Telnet? Or? Sorry... just unfamiliar with Telenet. I contacted support and he had me reset back to factory settings and start over. He says it could definitely have something to do with the fact hat I have a cable modem/router combo. He said if it continues to happen, doable/turn off WiFi on modem/router. If that doesn’t work, he said I could set the modem/router to Bridge Mode (so, modem only) and the Orbi as Router (not Access Point). Although that tethers the router to the IP with Orbi, so I can’t plug any other devices into the modem/router, I can live with it (I don’t plug anything into it anyway).  Stay tuned, I’ll let the community know what works (or doesn’t).

Message 14 of 17
rgabby
Aspirant

@vcmouli it sounds like we have been having similar issues. Curious - what modem are you using? I have an Arris Surfboard (SBG6700-AC) Which is a modem/router combo. The WiFi on it doesn’t extend far enough for me so I tried a range extender and that sucked. So I got the Orbi. First I bought a RBR40 that came with a RBK30 Satellite. I had these problems after the return period from Office Max so I was stuck with it. From all the reviews I wanted Orbi to work! So I got the RBR20 at Costco as well. Now having similar problems so thinking it could be my Arris modem/router combo. I haven’t disabled the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz channels yet, but that’s my next step. I have also refrained from using Circle, since that App has been unreliable and I think is no longer a Disney product (they may have sold it because it has problems?) If it persists I will buy a straight modem as see how it works.

Message 15 of 17
vcmouli
Aspirant

@rgabby , I have a Netgear AC2200 router and have disabled the WiFi on the router.  I changed the channel to 1 on the 2.4 GHz.  Primary reason I bought the Orbi was to extend my WiFi as the range extender I had did not do a good job and had dead spots in my house.

I read on another forum on having separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz channels which I am going to try today or tomorrow.  Here is the link to the forum:

https://windsorwebdeveloper.com/making-netgear-orbi-great-again/

Seems like Jon Wood (author of the blog) was able to get stable Orbi again after doing the few things he mentions in the post.  I am going to try one solution at a time, to see if any of those will help isolate the problem.

Good luck and let me know if something works for you:)

Message 16 of 17
rgabby
Aspirant

@vcmouli  That article in the link is awesome... if I continue to have issues I will try those suggestions. Thanks!

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7