Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Orbi connected but saying "No Internet Connection".

STH1964
Guide

My Orbi connected but saying "No Internet Connection".

Hi there fellow Netgear users.

Please excuse my ignorance & lack of technical knowledge but is there someone out there that can help me with an ongoing problem.

I have had my Netgear Orbi RBK20 for 5 months know and the first few weeks it worked fine, then it started showing up on my devices that I had 'No internet connection' even though the Modem was showing internet was fine so after doing several factory resets on the Modem & the Orbi it would be fine but alas a few weeks down the road again the same thing would happen, after calling my service provider, they said that everything was fine from there end & that it's probably my Orbi causing the problems so i disconnected my Orbi RBK20 and presto, my internet was up & running fine, connected it back on & 'No Internet connection" came up again, disconnect again & it's fine.

Can someone give me a solution or step by step to fix this problem? if there is one.

Like I say I'm no techie when it comes to this stuff like this but I do know a little to get things started but this is way above my brain restrictions.

Regards

STH1964

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 11 of 15

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

It might help to describe all of the equipment that is deployed, and what is connected to what.  For example, the "tag" under the message mentions "Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender", which of course is not a component of the Orbi system.  Is there a Nighthawk router somewhere?

And perhaps some more description of how these tests are conducted.  i.e. the Orbi is disconnected, which means that everything now has no internet (true?), and then something is connected to the modem successfully?

Message 2 of 15
STH1964
Guide

Sorry, my bad.

Its the RBR20 which is connected via cable from my modem to the Orbi.

The test I carried out twice was to diconnect the power to the Orbi & both times the internet came back on.

When Orbi connected then no internet connection.

When Orbi disconnected, the cable pulled out & power off, then the connection was perfect.

Funny thing is that I have live feed cameras hooked up to the main modem & they work fine.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 15
STH1964
Guide

ps: I have a tiny house outside & the reason I brought the Orbi was to push the signal out to it, which it was doing perfectly for a while, the signal was very strong going out to the tiny house but then recently the 'No internet connection' problems began but still with the strong signal, obviously when the Orbi was disconnected the wifi signal is very weak.

Message 4 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, I am still confused.  There is equipment connected to the modem in addition to the Orbi?

Message 5 of 15
STH1964
Guide

Yes but only the security cameras, but even before the camera was installed the problem was happening. There are 4 ports on the back onf the modem, I used 1 port for the camera/s & another port for the Orbi.

Message 6 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the additional information.  I understand now.  There is an internet modem/router which provides service to cameras and to the Orbi.  Does it also broadcast a WiFi signal?  The part where I am having trouble understanding is "disconect the Orbi and internet returns."  Returns to what?  It can't be to something connected to the Orbi because the Orbi is disconnected.  What is getting internet when the Orbi is disconnected?

Message 7 of 15
STH1964
Guide

Yes the main modem/router provides me the wireless wifi for the main house with the camera & Orbi connected. But for some reason when the Orbi is connected to the modem/router I can still get a strong wifi signal out to the tiny house & surroundings outside the main house but then "no internet connection" pops up on my device.

Q: "disconect the Orbi and internet returns."  Returns to what?....

A: The Internet just starts working again because for some reason when the Orbi is connected it drops the internet yet Orbi signal is strong. 

Q: What is getting internet when the Orbi is disconnected?

A: When Orbi disconnected the internet works fine, obviously no signal to the tiny house because my modem/routers signal won't reach that far hence why I brought the Orbi.

Sorry, But i hope I havent confused you even more.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 9 of 15
STH1964
Guide

Hi and thank you for the options.

The house is 2 hours south of where I currently work but I am there in the weekends so i will try these options when i head down on Friday.

Many thanks for your help & i'll let you know how I go.

Meanwhile I'll check with my ISP for the MFR & Model #'s of the router

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 15
STH1964
Guide

Hi there,

I got my brother who's an IT guru, to come down to have a look at it after showing him the options you recommended & he knew exactly what to do.

He has made the SP modem a gateway now plus whatever else needed to be done and its working a treat now, it's been 2 months since he's changed it and no problems whatsoever, thank you again for your help.

Regards

STH1964

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Great news. Glad he was able to help you get it all running well. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@STH1964 wrote:

Hi there,

I got my brother who's an IT guru, to come down to have a look at it after showing him the options you recommended & he knew exactly what to do.

He has made the SP modem a gateway now plus whatever else needed to be done and its working a treat now, it's been 2 months since he's changed it and no problems whatsoever, thank you again for your help.

Regards

STH1964

Message 13 of 15
cw71
Tutor

Disconnect the device from the wifi network

Go to Devices list

Click on Access Control

Check in the box for Allow new devices to connect

Delete the device from the list of devices not connected to the wifi network

Delete all unnecessary device from the list of devices not connected to the wifi network

Log the device back into the wifi network

Set Advance Settings to Proxy None and Connection DHCP

Try opening your browser on the device.

If still no internet, log the device back into the wifi network

Set Advance Settings to Proxy None and Connection Static -> enter valid IP Address

I tried this for my device when connected to the wifi network but no internet access and it worked.

Hope this helps.

I tried this after hours of research, trial and error, and yellingf and swearing.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I think the OP had a different issue with this ISP modem. 

Thanks for posting though. 

@cw71 wrote:

Disconnect the device from the wifi network

Go to Devices list

Click on Access Control

Check in the box for Allow new devices to connect

Delete the device from the list of devices not connected to the wifi network

Delete all unnecessary device from the list of devices not connected to the wifi network

Log the device back into the wifi network

Set Advance Settings to Proxy None and Connection DHCP

If still no internet, log the device back into the wifi network

Set Advance Settings to Proxy None and Connection Static -> enter valid IP Address

I tried this for my device when connected to the wifi network but no internet access and it worked.

Hope this helps.

I tried this after hours of research, trial and error, and yellingf and swearing.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7