Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Orbi ring light turns pink and no internet

nksaran
Aspirant

My Orbi ring light turns pink and no internet

Hi,

I bought this Orbi router 7 months back. It was working fine so far. But now the main Orbi router ring light turns pink and stays like that for ever till I reboot Orbi, this happned 2 times in 4 days. My ISP is Cox. My modem is Arris CM8200. Also my Orbi has latest firmware. When this happens, If I just reboot Orbi (not modem), everything works fine. Any sugesstion will of great help. Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
nksaran
Aspirant

I upgraded the firmware to the latest one (V2.5.0.38) and I do not see the pink light issue from last night. If the ping light turns on again then I shall do factory reset, otherwis

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF both ISP modem and RBR for 1 minuted, then back ON to see if this changes anything? 
You might try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch to see if FW has been updated recently. 

Message 2 of 19
nksaran
Aspirant

When this happned for the first time, I powered off both ISP modem and RBR for a minute and then powered back on both of them and Orbi was back online. Second time, I just powered off and powered on Orbi and Orbi was back online.

Is there a Orbi error or debug log that is stored somewhere in the router, which will give a clue for the pink light?

Message 3 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@nksaran wrote:

Hi,

Also my Orbi has latest firmware. 

...and what firmware would that be?

Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Has the LAN cable between the ISP modem and RBR been swapped out? 

IF so, I would try a reset on the RBR and setup from scratch...

@nksaran wrote:

When this happned for the first time, I powered off both ISP modem and RBR for a minute and then powered back on both of them and Orbi was back online. Second time, I just powered off and powered on Orbi and Orbi was back online.

Is there a Orbi error or debug log that is stored somewhere in the router, which will give a clue for the pink light?

Message 5 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok. Has the LAN cable between the ISP modem and RBR been swapped out? 

IF so, I would try a reset on the RBR and setup from scratch...

why aren't you asking about the firmware?

Message 6 of 19
nksaran
Aspirant

No, I have not yet swapped out the LAN cable between the ISP modem and RBR. I shall do it this eveing and see it solves the issue. As I am typing this message, Orbi light turned on pink again.

Message 7 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@nksaran wrote:

No, I have not yet swapped out the LAN cable between the ISP modem and RBR. I shall do it this eveing and see it solves the issue. As I am typing this message, Orbi light turned on pink again.

Firmware?

Message 8 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@nksaran wrote:

"Logs" are a tricky subject.  Orbi keeps a log file which can be accessed from the web interface (not the "app").  This log file is erased when the Orbi is turned off, so the user must log into the Orbi web interface, navigate to the Advanced Tab->Administration->Logs to see it.  My Orbi has not "turned magenta" (close to pink, but that's what Netgear calls it), so I do not know if tis shows up in the log or not.

In addition, Orbi can create a "Debug Log".  This is activated by browsing to http://<ip of orbi>/debug.htm, Enable LAN/WAN packet capture, and then Start Capture.  I (personally) use this feature to capture some traffic for analysis.  I found the "debug" file mysterious.  I also have no idea if this file is erased when the Orbi is restarted.  (Guess that could be tested.)  I would connect to the Orbi debug.htm and "Save" the debug log before restarting the Orbi.  Will this help?  Beats the heck out of me.

People ask what the specific firmware number is because Netgear released an "update" about two weeks ago that has been widely reviled for causing problems when there were none before.  (Maybe it "fixed some things", but the concensus appears to be that many users are happier going back to the previous firmware.)  So, if "latest" means that you installed the new firmware, the recommendation is going to be, "GO BACK, and don't do this any more!"

Message 9 of 19
nksaran
Aspirant

Here is the Firmware Version: v2.3.5.30

Message 10 of 19
nksaran
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. I shall check the debug log to see I can find something. I shall also try to go back to the previous version of firmware to see, it solves this issue.

Message 11 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

The 2.3.5.30 firmware has been out for about five months.  If this problem started recently, the firmware is not likely to be the cause.

One thing that is often recommended is to do a "factory reset" on the Orbi.  If you have not done extensive customizing of Orbi settings, this is relatively painless.  (Some of us have spent hours assigning IP addresses to devices, customizing names, etc. etc. and dread having to do it all over again.)

Message 12 of 19
nksaran
Aspirant

Thanks. I shall do factory reset and see it resolves this issue. I have only customized the attached device names, other than this no additional config. So factory reset should not be a problem.

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if the lan cable swap or factory reset and setup from scratch changes anything. 

@nksaran wrote:

Thanks. I shall do factory reset and see it resolves this issue. I have only customized the attached device names, other than this no additional config. So factory reset should not be a problem.

Message 14 of 19
nksaran
Aspirant

I upgraded the firmware to the latest one (V2.5.0.38) and I do not see the pink light issue from last night. If the ping light turns on again then I shall do factory reset, otherwis

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Hope it works well for you.

Please mark your thread as solved if you feel this works for you so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@nksaran wrote:

Message 16 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@nksaran wrote:

I would keep an eye on it.  I believe V2.5.0.38 has issues as well.  Do a search in here.

Once your system is running OK, no more manual firmware updates.

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ohters are having good operation past 5 days. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820486/hi...

@nksaran wrote:

Message 18 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ohters are having good operation past 5 days. 

while many others have NOT...but I think you know that

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7