Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My RBR50 slows WiFi download speed about 15%

My RBR50 slows WiFi download speed about 15%

I recently installed a RBK53 with my Macintosh system (OS 10.12.6) and upgraded the Orbi to the latest firmware. The internet is supplied via my local cable company through an ARRIS TM822 cable modem. While the installation proceeded without a problem and the Orbi system works flawlessly, I've observed that my WiFi download speed is consistantly 8 MB/s with the Orbi. Connecting to the Cable Modem with an Ethernet cable produces a consistant download speed of 10 MB/s. Upload speed appears to be approximatley the same (1.0 MB/s) with either the Orbi or a direct Ethernet connection. I'm using seedtest.net to measure the WiFi speed. I called Netgear Support and they had me try different channles. It made no difference. Can anyone provide a explaination/solution to eliminate the approximately 20% penalty that the RBR50 is extracting?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My RBR50 slows WiFi download speed about 15%

What frequency is the Mac connected to? 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. You can tell by holding down the OPT button and click on the wifi radio icon at the top bar. Will show you details of how your mac is connected.

Is WMM enabled on the router?

Is Channelwidth set to 20/40Mhz or 40Mhz only?

Message 2 of 6

Thanks for the Option trick. I'd forgotten about that.

Channel 48, 5 GHz, 40 MHz.

Sorry don't know what WMM is or how to tell if it's enabled. I assume by Router you mean the Orbi. The Arris is, of course, a Modem.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You are correct. Router=Orbi router. 

Yes the Arris model modem is a modem only. Thats a good thing. 

You might see WMM Enable listed either under Basic/Wireless or Advanced/Advanced Wireless Settings. This should be check marked as enabled. 

Message 4 of 6

I poked around on the net and found out what WMM is, particularly with respect to the Orbi. A screen shot of my settings is attached. Looks as if it's configured as it should be. In poking around in the Advanced Settingd I found an internal SpeedTest button. The test results when I clicked it were 9.84/1.27 and 9.47/1.28. Running SpeedTest from my Desktop with the SpeedTest app produced 8.48/1.02. This SpeedTest showes 10.0/1.0 when I use the Ethernet cable connection.

Any thoughtds of what, if anything I might do, to boost the WiFi speed as indicated by the SpeedTest app?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless device are you using to test speeds with.

Wireless will always never be as good in performance as wired connections. Many variables to wireless that can see inaccurate results...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7