Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Wired connection to an Orbi Satellite is slower then my Wireless to the same Satellite

Camdiggy
Follower

My Wired connection to an Orbi Satellite is slower then my Wireless to the same Satellite

I have xfinity 1 Gb service to the house and a xfinity xfi modem in bridge mode.  The xfi model is connected through a CAT7 eithernet calbe to an Orbi RBK843 Router.  The Orbi Router is about 45 ft from my home office and an Orbi Satalite unit is next to my desk in my office.  My desk computer is wired into the Satelite also with a CAT7 ethernet patch cord (I also tested it with a CAT5e).  According to the Orbi app, both my iPhone X and my desktop are connected to the same Satelite.

When I run a Speed Test on my iPhone X connected wirelessly I get 600-700Mbps

When I run a Speed Test on my PC I get 200-300Mbps

I have swaped ethernet cables with no change.

The network adapter on my PC is a Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

The PC is running Windows10.

Why do I get slower wired connection then wireless connection to the Orbi Satellite?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My Wired connection to an Orbi Satellite is slower then my Wireless to the same Satellite

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Camdiggy wrote:

When I run a Speed Test on my iPhone X connected wirelessly I get 600-700Mbps

When I run a Speed Test on my PC I get 200-300Mbps

The network adapter on my PC is a Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Why do I get slower wired connection than wireless connection to the Orbi Satellite?

This should  not be happening. The wired connection should never get a worse Speed Test than a WiFi connection to the same satellite.

Would there happen to be another PC available (laptop?) with a gigabit etherent port that is not the "Killer"?

https://hothardware.com/reviews/killer-e2500-gigabit-ethernet-controller-preview 

That web description goes into a lot of detail about how this Killer card assigns ethernet data to different priority groups.

Is it possible to disable that feature for the Speed Test?

Also, there is a rumor going around that v4 of the Orbi AX firmware produces worse Speed Test results than v3 firmware. (A number of posts within the past few days).  Posts in the AX forum may provide more information. (or at least more interesting reading)

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7