Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My devices (laptop, phone, etc) can all see my RBR750 base, but my RBS750 satellite cannot

tpk
Aspirant
Aspirant

My devices (laptop, phone, etc) can all see my RBR750 base, but my RBS750 satellite cannot

SUMMARY
My various WiFi-connecting devices (laptops, phones, etc) are able to connect to my RBR750 Base.
My RBS750 Satellite (with one exception), is not.
And that is even if the Satellite is in the same physical space as my WiFi-connecting devices.

DETAILS
I'm using an RBR750 Base with one RBS750 Satellite in a small, roughly 20' x 30' apartment. My various devices -- laptops, phones, TV, etc -- can all connect to the Base unit easily, regardless of where they are in the apartment, and regardless of where I site the Base. In fact, from the testing I've done, the Base is able to cover, on its own, the entire apartment and then some. The only reason I'm using a mesh at all is to have the Satelite cover the common lawn/pool area just outside my apartment. And in fact it does that very well, giving coverage of well over 100', but only if the Satellite manages to establish its connection to the Base. And thar -- to quote Adam in MythBusters -- thar's yer prablem.

The problem is that the RBS750 Satellite is simply unable to establish its connection to the Base from most places, even from where my devices *are* able to connect. The problem doesn't appear to be primarily distance but rather -- I think -- what physically sits between the Base and Satellite. So if I place the Satellite where it is separated from the Base by at most only one wall, then they connect fine, even at distances up to about 40' or so (that's the most I've tested). And in that case, as I say, the Satellite works really well.  But if there's anything more than a single wall between Satellite and Base, then the Satellite goes in the huff and gives me a purple light. And I've seen that happen at Base-to-Satellite distances of as short as 15'.

I'll note that the apartment is fairly modern with, I think, regular internal walls constructed from drywall on wooden frames. And I can't see anything else around that would block the signal.

Finally, to re-iterate: the Satellite fails to connect to the Base from the same physical locations and distances that all of my actual devices -- laptops, phones, etc -- always manage to connect (to the Base).

Firmware: V3.2.16.6

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My devices (laptop, phone, etc) can all see my RBR750 base, but my RBS750 satellite cannot

Please post about this over inthe Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 3
tpk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. I've done that.

Do you think I should now delete this one, or at very least delete the content and leave a link to the new one?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7