Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My new Orbi RBR850 mysteriously dropped some internet connections

My new Orbi RBR850 mysteriously dropped some internet connections

I installed an RBR850 and 3 satellites last weekend.  I have about 30 devices attached - Rokus, phones, computers, Ring security cameras, robot, etc.  All have been working well. Suddenly tonight a large block of devices could no longer connect to the internet.  My Roku saw the ORBI system and showed it had excellent connectivity.  It would go through and connect but when you checked the connection it said there was no internet.  My phone didn't work.  And yet I walked into another room and my wireless printer was printing away and my Roku was working - and my phone started working.  

All satellites had a green status on the orbilogin.com page. I unplugged the two satellites that seemed to be carrying the devices not working and then plugged them back in.  No change.  Logged on to orbilogin.com and there was a big red banner saying not connected to ethernet.  I clicked on test, and it showed a bar and said it was updating.  This completely fixed the problem, and all my devices reconnected instantly.

Can anyone tell me what just happened?  I have a lot of time and money invested in ORBI and hope this was a one time event!

Message 1 of 28

Re: My new Orbi RBR850 mysteriously dropped some internet connections

@scamperpamela wrote:

Suddenly tonight a large block of devices could no longer connect to the internet. 

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

@scamperpamela wrote:

I installed an RBR850 and 3 satellites last weekend. 

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 28

Firmware is 32.18.1_1.4.14

Modem (from Spectrum) is Arris TM1602. Does not include a router.  No extra ports.

Thank you for your help!

Message 3 of 28

@scamperpamela wrote:

Firmware is 32.18.1_1.4.14

Modem (from Spectrum) is Arris TM1602. Does not include a router.  No extra ports.

That's good. Needed to rule that out.

A modem/router crops up far too often in these problems.

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem and RBR for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

@scamperpamela wrote:

I installed an RBR850 and 3 satellites last weekend.  I have about 30 devices attached - Rokus, phones, computers, Ring security cameras, robot, etc.  All have been working well. Suddenly tonight a large block of devices could no longer connect to the internet.  My Roku saw the ORBI system and showed it had excellent connectivity.  It would go through and connect but when you checked the connection it said there was no internet.  My phone didn't work.  And yet I walked into another room and my wireless printer was printing away and my Roku was working - and my phone started working.  

All satellites had a green status on the orbilogin.com page. I unplugged the two satellites that seemed to be carrying the devices not working and then plugged them back in.  No change.  Logged on to orbilogin.com and there was a big red banner saying not connected to ethernet.  I clicked on test, and it showed a bar and said it was updating.  This completely fixed the problem, and all my devices reconnected instantly.

Can anyone tell me what just happened?  I have a lot of time and money invested in ORBI and hope this was a one time event!

Message 5 of 28

Thanks, will look into these items. 

I have not encountered this problem again, but I am getting sporatic "This site can't be reached..." and DNS-PROBE.... They are quick, often refresh themselves, and if not a simple F5 refresh fixes instantly.  Been on with Netgear several times. Changed wifi channels (though the computers - 2 of them, and 2 different browsers tested on each computer) are ethernet connected. Changed to a static DNS. Then changed the MTU from 1500 to 1492.  I read up some on that and think 1436 tests better on my computer. But no matter, it is still doing it at both 1492 and 1436.  Yesterday I directly connected my computer to the cable modem to take ORBI out of it and could not get it to fail in an hour or so - doesn't totally provide it is ORBI but seems highly likely as it wasn't doing this with my old R6100 Netgear router, etc. and doesn't seem to do it with ORBI out of the picture.  Any ideas?  I'll be on my 6th call, and they always try to help but so far no luck.

Message 6 of 28

@scamperpamela wrote:

Then changed the MTU from 1500 to 1492.  I read up some on that and think 1436 tests better on my computer. But no matter, it is still doing it at both 1492 and 1436. 

This is best found by asking your ISP.

Also note the advice from @FURRYe38 about turning things off and on.

Netgear's instructions are clear on this. Turn off modem and router. Then turn on modem and leave it so settle down and make an internet connection. There are probably lights on the front that will yell INTERNET CONNECTED. Then turn on the router and wait for it to go through its paces before messing around with anything else.

Have you seen the same behaviour since things came back to life?

I ask because if this bit in your first message:

Logged on to orbilogin.com and there was a big red banner saying not connected to ethernet. I clicked on test, and it showed a bar and said it was updating. This completely fixed the problem, and all my devices reconnected instantly.

When you set the thing up, the Orbi stuff will go out and look for firmware updates. And each satellite needs its own update. Maybe your interruptions were down to those updates.

This sort of hints that this might have happened:

@scamperpamela wrote:

I have not encountered this problem again...

These message hint at something away from the router:

@scamperpamela wrote:

.... I am getting sporatic "This site can't be reached..." and DNS-PROBE.... They are quick, often refresh themselves, and if not a simple F5 refresh fixes instantly. 

You don't say where you see those message, so I may be totally wrong. (Quite likely) But have you looked to see if the Orbi and R6100 are using the same Domain Name Server?

Message 7 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with @Christian_R  and ask for access to v223 beta that fixes the DNS issue. 

@scamperpamela wrote:

Thanks, will look into these items. 

I have not encountered this problem again, but I am getting sporatic "This site can't be reached..." and DNS-PROBE.... They are quick, often refresh themselves, and if not a simple F5 refresh fixes instantly.  Been on with Netgear several times. Changed wifi channels (though the computers - 2 of them, and 2 different browsers tested on each computer) are ethernet connected. Changed to a static DNS. Then changed the MTU from 1500 to 1492.  I read up some on that and think 1436 tests better on my computer. But no matter, it is still doing it at both 1492 and 1436.  Yesterday I directly connected my computer to the cable modem to take ORBI out of it and could not get it to fail in an hour or so - doesn't totally provide it is ORBI but seems highly likely as it wasn't doing this with my old R6100 Netgear router, etc. and doesn't seem to do it with ORBI out of the picture.  Any ideas?  I'll be on my 6th call, and they always try to help but so far no luck.

Message 8 of 28
Mikey94025
Hero

For reference, this is the other thread about the intermittent DNS issue and where the available Beta firmware finally fixes it: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1950768

Message 9 of 28

Thank you, just messaged Christian.  Am hopeful!!

Message 10 of 28

I see those messages on my win10 computer in my browser (Chrome or Edge).  R6100 is no longer in service.  When I first discovered this problem, the ORBI router was set up to let the ISP assign the DNSs.  Netgear had me change that to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.2.1.

Message 11 of 28

Thanks for the information, a relief to know I'm not alone.  I did read some of the thread and tried setting the DNSs to google's like one person suggested.  No help.  Hopefully Netgear can give me access to the V223 beta and that will fix it.  In the meantime I'll quit beating my head against a brick wall, LOL!

Message 12 of 28

I may stand corrected.  I realized after changing the domain name that I only rebooted the router, not the modem.  Went back and did both and as yet haven't had another failure.

Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes the modem needs a good power OFF and back ON as well. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

IF this fixed the problem, Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 14 of 28

Seems to be happening less but still present, alas.  Will see if Christian from Netgear responds and if not call Netgear back with my case.

Message 15 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Ask about the beta FW. 

Also get your ISP to check the service line up to the modem. If the modem experiences any signal problems, this can be seen at the RBR. 

Message 16 of 28

ISP says everything checks out, which I believed would be the case because I cannot replicate the problem if I cut ORBI out of the communication (make my PC talk directly via ethernet to the ISP modem).

Today I talked with Netgear again, and they are replacing my router and assure me this will fix the problem.  I later heard from Christian, who has granted me beta access. So if the new router continues to have problems I will attempt to set up V223 and see if that fixes the problem.  Thank you so much for all of your help - one way or another, your input has helped move this problem forward.  Appreciate your expertise!!

Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets us know how it goes...

Message 18 of 28

OK, I think I might have a handle on this problem.  The replacement router had no effect on the problem. Then I upgraded to beta v223, and the DNS problem has not appeared since (several days).  I was still getting some web pages that did not fully download - mostly missing images - every now and then, at least a couple of times an hour.  

Someone here noted I should download the Orbi manual, LOL.  Would you believe I did not know there was an Orbi manual?  No mention of it in the scant literature from Netgear.  I am a computing professional and should know better, but because I am a computing professional I just started to tackle things on my own based on past experience. .  I performed the entire Orbi AX6000 install by the seat of my pants - it's a wonder it works at all. 

At any rate, I was reading the manual belatedly and came upon a discussion of MTUs and how in some cases a maximum MTU could cause web pages to download incorrectly.  I had already on my own tried MTs from 1500 to 1436, which is the number I calculated from pinging where the ping indicated there were no fragmented pages.  But the manual suggested a value as low as 1400.  I changed my router to a 1400 MTU and have not had a partial web page downloaded in my browser in two days.

So this MAY be a solution: beta v223 and MTU 1400.  Everything is now operating very well, and I am pleased with my system thus far.  If I don't have any DNS not found or partially loaded pages in my browser in the next week or so, I'll mark this as solved. I'd say this Netgear Community has delivered a miracle, thanks!  

Message 19 of 28

@scamperpamela wrote:

Someone here noted I should download the Orbi manual, LOL.  Would you believe I did not know there was an Orbi manual? 

Oh yes. I would certainly believe that, given how Netgear hides this stuff. That is why I always explain this when I tell people to check the manual.

Interesting that you describe your process as "seat if the pants". That too is easy to understand. Netgear tries to make life "easy" with its pesky mobile apps. The problem with that approach is that it never explains what is happening. Just leads you down this narrow road. Any slight deviation of something doesn't work as expected and you can get lost.

Message 20 of 28

The truth of the matter is wifi technology is complex. It is amazing that a non-technical user can get it running at all!  Things do go wrong quite frequently.  My initial setup went without my having to call Netgear, but I knew a few tricks when things didn't go quite right.  My setup with the replacement router ended up with almost 2 hours on the phone to Netgear.  I will say Netgear customer service is patient and tries very hard to help. But most of the solution to my problems came from the Netgear community and m own computing background.

Message 21 of 28

@scamperpamela wrote:

But most of the solution to my problems came from the Netgear community and m own computing background.

"That's the way to do it", to quote Mr Punch.

Isn't it funny how people who know something, even a little bit, about the entrails of the technology can be more understanding of where things can go wrong, and patient when talking to the tech people when trying to fix problems?

If only absolute beginners were equally open to advice. Instead they too often shout at the techies on the basis that the louder they yell the higher people will jump.

Then again there are those who come along and scream "I used to run computers on the space shuttle, so don't talk to me about technology". Someone has to point out to them that a PhD from the Fortran era won't get then very far with 21st wifi systems.

Message 22 of 28

I can tell you've suffered the end user, LOL!  I hear a bit of relief on the other end of the line to a company technical support line when they relize I'm not an absolute beginner but also not claiming to be an expert on the subject.  They probably won't get yelled at or have to spend 30 minutes telling me to click this and that and hear 'oops' on the other end of the line.   

Y ou said "Someone has to point out to them that a PhD from the Fortran era won't get then very far with 21st wifi system."  I might point out also that a PhD from the current era won't get them there unless it is explicitly in the current subject matter.

What rational experience does give one is very good logic and a bag of tricks to try to make things work.  Experience usually can come up with just one more thing to try before calling for support, and by the time you get to support you have isolated the problem at least a little.  I am strongly motiviated to fix things on my own first simply because I don't want to spend hours on the other end of a support call and also have to go through the whole problem again and again if I have to make multiple calls.   

I have spent a good deal of time on Netgear support with previous routers and extenders as well as a little on ORBI.    The technicians are accessible and eager to solve your problem if not always  able to do so.  Very hard to fix wifi problems from a remote location!

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the beta FW and MTU configuration helped. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

@scamperpamela wrote:

OK, I think I might have a handle on this problem.  The replacement router had no effect on the problem. Then I upgraded to beta v223, and the DNS problem has not appeared since (several days).  I was still getting some web pages that did not fully download - mostly missing images - every now and then, at least a couple of times an hour.  

Someone here noted I should download the Orbi manual, LOL.  Would you believe I did not know there was an Orbi manual?  No mention of it in the scant literature from Netgear.  I am a computing professional and should know better, but because I am a computing professional I just started to tackle things on my own based on past experience. .  I performed the entire Orbi AX6000 install by the seat of my pants - it's a wonder it works at all. 

At any rate, I was reading the manual belatedly and came upon a discussion of MTUs and how in some cases a maximum MTU could cause web pages to download incorrectly.  I had already on my own tried MTs from 1500 to 1436, which is the number I calculated from pinging where the ping indicated there were no fragmented pages.  But the manual suggested a value as low as 1400.  I changed my router to a 1400 MTU and have not had a partial web page downloaded in my browser in two days.

So this MAY be a solution: beta v223 and MTU 1400.  Everything is now operating very well, and I am pleased with my system thus far.  If I don't have any DNS not found or partially loaded pages in my browser in the next week or so, I'll mark this as solved. I'd say this Netgear Community has delivered a miracle, thanks!  

Message 24 of 28

The mysterious incomplete display of browser pages has come back, so I'm assuming my setting router MTU size to 1400 did not resolve the problem. I don't think this is related to the DNS problem, which I consider resolved with the installation of beta V223. Therefor, I'm closing out this thread. Don't really know what the browser page display problem is, could possibly be the provider. Did notice today it went away for awhile after I rebooted the provider modem, but in half a day it is back.
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7