Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My only ONE (1) satellite repeatedly disconnects after AUTO-update of firmware v. 2.1.4.10

Peace_105
Aspirant

My only ONE (1) satellite repeatedly disconnects after AUTO-update of firmware v. 2.1.4.10

Symptom: As title says - the one (1) and only Orbi Satellite goes on cycles: connected , disconnected from the Orbi Router within a few minutes (ie goes Magenta --> Blue --> Magenta --> Blue etc). It all started around April 24  (most likely in conjunction with the latest firmware auto-update to v. 2.1.4.10). Nothing esle in our system has been changed (satellite-router distance or number of devices etc). 

Actions taken:

Multiple reboots of Router and Satellite, and multiple sync button trials without success.

After reading other threads here at the forum I have unchecked the Enable Daisy-Chain Topology under Advanced tab --> Advanced Setup--> Wireless Settings because I only have ONE (1) satellite (Thus I do not need Daisy-chain). Rebooted everything. Still the problem persists (= the Satellite drops connection with the Router repeatedly ie goes on Magenta ... then goes Blue, then Magenta again etc etc, all within approx 3-5 minutes cycles as it seems (have not timed exactly)...

Netgear moderator/ dear fellow community please advice. My patience with this Netgear product is coming very close to my limit as I have had multiple issues with this Orbi system .. supposedly a top end system...this is not the first problem.

Are Netgear techs working on a fix new firmware? or shall I try to downgrade firmware?

It was too expensive to just throw this Orbi system away, but it is getting close...

PS live in Sweden (någon annan svensk med samma problem med satellit efter firmware auto-update?)

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My only ONE (1) satellite repeatedly disconnects after AUTO-update of firmware v. 2.1.4.10

What is the distance between the router and Satellite? Feet?

What channels are you using on the router? Auto? Try manual channel 1, 6 or 11 or 13 on the router. Any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling MIMO and Fast Roaming as well.

Last resort would be to factory reset both router and satelllite then set up from scratch...

Message 2 of 10
Peace_105
Aspirant

"What is the distance between the router and Satellite? Feet?"

Response: About 30 feet (has not been changed)

"What channels are you using on the router? Auto? Try manual channel 1, 6 or 11 or 13 on the router. Any unused channel on 5Ghz."

Response: Whatever the default are, auto I presume. Not sure where to find these settings?

"Try disabling MIMO and Fast Roaming as well."

Response: These two were already unchecked (disabled) by default.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Wireless settings can be found under Advanced Settings, Wireless...

Message 4 of 10
Peace_105
Aspirant

Sry, but it says nothing here about selection of channels as far as I can tell... (see pic)

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry, lets scroll up to Setup/Wireless

Message 6 of 10
Peace_105
Aspirant

Have tried for 2.4 Ghz Channel 1, same issue (had 5Mhz on channel 36)...

Pretty sure the new firmware messed my system up.

I will factory reset, but not sure I have time (will travel again for another 2 weeks early tomorrow)

Family has to be without wi-fi in half of the home for a while...

Thx for trying

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try reverting FW versions to last working version as well.

Maybe disconnect the satelllite while your away and then work on it after you come back...

Message 8 of 10
Peace_105
Aspirant

I just did a factory reset of both Orbi satellite and Orbi Router, as family members were upset and wanted wi-fi in whole house....and the Orbi piece of garbage auto-updated to v2.1.4.10 without even asking (apparently directly after factory reset),

So same problem, Satellite disconnects - Moment 22 -

I'm not not sure I understand how to 1) revert back to an earlier FW version? and then 2) to prevent the Orbi from auto-update?

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try using the Orbi router with out the Satellite connected?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7