Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mysterious Guest Network

DrBSkull
Guide

Mysterious Guest Network

I have an Orbi RBR50 and three RBS50 satellites and one RBS50Y as part of my network. I have an invisible/private GUEST Network setup which is NOT broadcasting an SSID. On several occasions when I check the wifi networks in my area I see a network called "ORBI27-GUEST". It's definitely coming from my network because it goes away if I turn off the router. I can connect to the internet but I can't log into it from the IOS app or Orbilogin URL. I don't think any of my direct neighbors are using Netgear or Orbi networks. If I reboot the router the network goes away only to appear again after several days. One time when I connected to this network I could see other computers and shared files on my network. This is a serious security concern. Photo Attached: 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DrBSkull
Guide

Yes I am using the guest network. The main reason I unchecked Broadcast SSID was while I was logging on to my guest network which is used for an outdoor wifi security and camera system and pool equipment as not to use my primary network was the first time I noticed the network appeared and it was unsecure, it actually show devices on my primary wifi network so I kept the name as not to have to reset all of my wifi security devices then created a hidden network with the same name.

If I uncheck Guest Network and just leave the name of the hidden network in the blank the guest network goes off line. I have not tried unchecking guest network and rebooting all four of my satellites. Trying that or a total factory reset might help the bigger problem is that this phantom or mystery network seems to come and go and it's unsecure as if sharing is turned on and it also sees my devices on my primary network. Currently I am not seeing it but it was there this morning. Rebooting the main router did make it go away but I'm afraid it will be back and  my shared devices/files will be unsecure again. Very strange a network created by the Orbi which is called ORBI27-GUEST can see devices in the primary network.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Go under Guest Network and ensure Broadcast SSID is un-checked for all radios. Save settings then reboot both satellite and router. 

Message 2 of 11
DrBSkull
Guide

Thank you for the reply Broadcast SSID is un-checked but I can not find a setting for "all radios"

Guest Network is checked, If I uncheck it I will loose my hidden network. You should only be able to connect to my guest network if you type in the name and Password / WPA2-PSK

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using the Guest Network? 

What happens if you uncheck Guest Network and reboot the router and satellite? 

Message 4 of 11
DrBSkull
Guide

Yes I am using the guest network. The main reason I unchecked Broadcast SSID was while I was logging on to my guest network which is used for an outdoor wifi security and camera system and pool equipment as not to use my primary network was the first time I noticed the network appeared and it was unsecure, it actually show devices on my primary wifi network so I kept the name as not to have to reset all of my wifi security devices then created a hidden network with the same name.

If I uncheck Guest Network and just leave the name of the hidden network in the blank the guest network goes off line. I have not tried unchecking guest network and rebooting all four of my satellites. Trying that or a total factory reset might help the bigger problem is that this phantom or mystery network seems to come and go and it's unsecure as if sharing is turned on and it also sees my devices on my primary network. Currently I am not seeing it but it was there this morning. Rebooting the main router did make it go away but I'm afraid it will be back and  my shared devices/files will be unsecure again. Very strange a network created by the Orbi which is called ORBI27-GUEST can see devices in the primary network.

Message 5 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@DrBSkull wrote:

..........when I check the wifi networks in my area I see a network called "ORBI27-GUEST". ...... 

I think that one of your satellites is not properly synced with the router and still has the default SSID (ORBI27). To know which satellite(s) that is/are please use a wifi analyser that shows the MAC address of the basestation broadcasting the network.

In the photo you attached I see that you are using a Mac, so you can use the native OSX wifi analyser as follows:

1. Option+Click on the Wi-Fi menu item in OS X
  2. Choose “Open Wireless Diagnostics”
  3. Go to the “Window” menu and choose “Scan” to immediately open the Wi-Fi Stumbler tool built into Mac OS X
  4. Locate the network ORBI27 and see which MAC addresses are broadcasting it and compare with the MAC addresses of all your Orbi basestations (router + 4 satellites).
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe one of the satellites maybe out of sync with the base router. 

I would power OFF a satellite, one at a time to see maybe where the SSID maybe coming from. 

@DrBSkull wrote:

Message 7 of 11
DrBSkull
Guide

I agree it may be coming from one of the satellites. Next time it pops up I will do a scan and identify which one it's coming from but the signal is strong everywhere so it's seems to be broadcasting equally throughout the entire mesh network. I was able to make it go away by simply turning off then rebooting the router but as I mentions it may take a few days or week but I expect it will be back. Very Strange...

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, been some posts about this before. 

One mentiioned that a satellite was out of sync. Something to maybe remove all satellites and re-sync them or do a factory reset on them and re-add them, when you have time. 

Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 11
DrBSkull
Guide

It hasn't happened again since I rebooted the router and closest satellite so for now I'm just going to keep am eye on it. I would rather know where it was coming from then factory reset every thing which will take some time. If the guest network appears again I will scan for the mac address.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. You should be good. You might try the beta FW thats seems to be available should this return. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

Please mark your post as solved so other will know for future reference. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@DrBSkull wrote:

It hasn't happened again since I rebooted the router and closest satellite so for now I'm just going to keep am eye on it. I would rather know where it was coming from then factory reset every thing which will take some time. If the guest network appears again I will scan for the mac address.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7