Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NBN HFC connection slow speeds

joedennis
Follower

NBN HFC connection slow speeds

I recently ordered an NBN HFC 100/40mbps connection from a smaller RSP in Sydney. I am running my Orbi directly into the NBN NTD device and have set up VLAN tagging as per retail providers instructions. The RSP assure me that there should be nothing preventing me getting faster WiFi and ethernet speeds (i.e. at least 90+mbps), however, frustratingly, I am only receiving around 40mbps on the downlink. (Surprisingly, am getting good uplink speeds - typically around 32-35mbps.) Any advice on how to play around with settings? Important to note even when I am using ethernet from port 1 on back or Orbi, I am still getting slow download speeds. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
jannico
Aspirant

I'm on TPG HFC NBN50 plan and with standard setup on Orbi just tested my speed and got 40/15 on speed.com and 28/19 on speedof.me. Did you get a router from ISP that can try instead of the Orbi?

Message 2 of 4
BarryTreg
Apprentice

I'm on AussieBB 100/40 HFC NBN. Before I recently moved away from Orbi, I was getting 95-ish speeds on download. Wireless on 5Ghz also up at that speed as well. So Orbi definately supports those sorts of download speed on HFC. 

With Orbi, I found there was quite a bit of trial an error. Many options to go through. First thing I'd prob do is plug direct onto the NBN box and see if the speed is OK there on one device. If OK, then try with ORbi , no satellite. Then add satellite.... Good luck!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7