Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NBN with phone and Orbi RBK23

GSP99
Aspirant

NBN with phone and Orbi RBK23

A previous discussion (NBN setup with RBK20) suggests that Orbi will work with NBN if you 1) change the cat5 cable from the one supplied with the Orbi

2) plug the Orbi from the Internet port directly into the NBN Arris modem.

The problem with this is, if you also have a phone connection on NBN, this method will disable the phone. So there doesn't appear to be any way to get Orbi to work with NBN when using phone as well.

I've tried plugging Orbi into LAN port on ISP-supplied wifi router, and it doesn't work. 

Any suggestons?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@GSP99 wrote:

A previous discussion (NBN setup with RBK20) suggests that Orbi will work with NBN if you 1) change the cat5 cable from the one supplied with the Orbi

2) plug the Orbi from the Internet port directly into the NBN Arris modem.

The problem with this is, if you also have a phone connection on NBN, this method will disable the phone. So there doesn't appear to be any way to get Orbi to work with NBN when using phone as well.

I've tried plugging Orbi into LAN port on ISP-supplied wifi router, and it doesn't work. 

Any suggestons?

Message 2 of 4
GSP99
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions, but:

1) and 2) are not possible because I can't touch the ISP's modem. The modem is an Arris CM8200 supplied by NBN. Can't tell you the Orbi firmware because I can't get it connected to the new wifi network.

3) If I connect the modem directly to Orbi I lose the home phone connection, so that is also not possible.

It appears the only solution is to move the NBN connection point to get better wifi reception.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, the modem, you have is a modem only. 

To check the FW version on the Orbi, connect a wired PC to the lan port on the RBR and use a web browser to log into the RBRs web page at orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1.

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

@GSP99 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but:

1) and 2) are not possible because I can't touch the ISP's modem. The modem is an Arris CM8200 supplied by NBN. Can't tell you the Orbi firmware because I can't get it connected to the new wifi network.

3) If I connect the modem directly to Orbi I lose the home phone connection, so that is also not possible.

It appears the only solution is to move the NBN connection point to get better wifi reception.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7