Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR-GUEST wifi SSID broadcast from RBS50Y although this SSID is not set up on my RBR50 Router

Rob-
Aspirant

NETGEAR-GUEST wifi SSID broadcast from RBS50Y although this SSID is not set up on my RBR50 Router

Hi 

I wonder if someone can offersome help?

When my RSB50Y is on V2.6.2.40 my main network and guest network are fine, but as soon as it auto updates to V2.6.2.104 I have a new OPEN unsecured ssid broadcasting from only my RBS50Y called NETGEAR-GUEST. It is not being broadcast for my RBR50 router or any of my other satellites, which are all running the latest firmware.

I have tried and successfully used telnet change all the update lines to =0 on both the RBR50 and the RBS50Y. I have downgrade V2.6.2.40 to but it updates again before it configs on the router.

When log-on on the new unsecured ssid, I do not have access to the internet, but can see the IP addresses of other items on my network

Thanks in advance for any help

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: NETGEAR-GUEST wifi SSID broadcast from RBS50Y although this SSID is not set up on my RBR50 Rout

Is 2.6.2.40 a Typo?  On the RBS50Y Download page, I see:

2.6.2.104 (Orbi mode for Orbi)

2.3.5.32 (Orbi mode for Orbi)

and in the Previous Firmware section there is

2.6.1.40 (Orbi mode for Orbi)

Do I understand that after a Manual Update, when you access the RBS50Y web interface (by IP address), it does not show the firmware that was manually loaded, but instead shows 2.6.2.104?

Message 2 of 15
Rob-
Aspirant

Re: NETGEAR-GUEST wifi SSID broadcast from RBS50Y although this SSID is not set up on my RBR50 Rout

Yes sorry should be 2.6.1.40 (Orbi mode for Orbi) 

No the firmware does downgradge to 2.6.1.40 but when I reboot the system the router shows it has updated back to 2.6.2.104.

Thanks for your reply and much needed correction.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure that the guest network enable and enable guest network broadcast are uncheck on the RBR unit. 

Has a factory reset been performed on the entire orbi system after last FW update? 

Message 4 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rob- wrote:

Yes sorry should be 2.6.1.40 (Orbi mode for Orbi) 

No the firmware does downgradge to 2.6.1.40 but when I reboot the system the router shows it has updated back to 2.6.2.104.

The manual firmware upload is being done directly on the RBS50Y web interface, correct?

i.e. connecting the web browser directly to the RBS50Y by IP address, not connecting to the router?

Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

This is just so different from my experience.  Although I do not have an RBS50Y, I recently spent all afternoon loading various firmware on an Orbi router (about 10 versions if I recall correctly). Although it would complain when the upload version was "older" than what was on the router, every single time the router rebooted with the version I had manually loaded.

Message 6 of 15
Rob-
Aspirant

Hi All

I seemed to have addressed the issue for the present. I turned off my guest WIFI and rebooted everything. However, the RBS50Y was still broadcasting the guest wifi. I used telnet nvram command to reset the RBS50Y to factory then re-synced the RBS50Y and now appears OK.

Thanks for all you suggestions.  

Message 7 of 15
Radz
Aspirant

Hi, I have this exact problem. I have reset using the reset button with no success. I have some basic comp skills but am unfamiliar with the telnet nvram method you used. I am on a Mac using MacOS 10.15.7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 8 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Radz

This has been brought up already to the team and will report back with an update as soon as possible.

Related thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Netgear-Guest-Open-and-Disabling-Firmware-Updates/m-p/2097641#...

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 9 of 15
computersteve
Apprentice

This is still happening. I'm on the latest firmware & theres a phantom Guest Network being broadcast on the RBS50Y both bands 2.4/5g called NETGEAR-GUEST. 

Message 10 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Rob- @computersteve @Radz

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 11 of 15
antonmazkovoi
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. There is a NETGEAR-Guest SSID broadcasted by RBS50Y (Firmware version V2.6.2.104) which I cannot remove. It is an *open* network which anyone can join successfully!

I have the guest network switched off in configuration. I have factory reset several times, which does not help.

Could you please let me know how the issue could be resolved?

@Blanca_O Is this something you could help with?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 12 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @antonmazkovoi

Engineering team provided us a copy of a beta firmware that might possibly fix the issue you are experiencing with your RBS50Y. If you are interested, please send me a private message with the following information: 

Name:

Email address:

Phone number: 

Device Serial number: 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 13 of 15
Krakus
Aspirant

I received a copy of the beta firmware that includes this fix to the guest network incorrectly being broadcast by the RBS50Y (the firmware is called "V2.6.2.104-Mysterious-Guest") and it fixed the issue, i.e. it's no longer being broadcast. I now see that there is updated firmware available: V2.7.3.22. Does this newer firmware include the guest network fix for the RBS50Y?

Message 14 of 15
Rob-
Aspirant

I also have this beta version installed, but beware it only hides the NETGEAR_ GUEST network if you observe the RBS50Y during start up when rebooting the offending network is available for around 45 - 60 seconds then is hidden, This is not a fix just a patch. I have been advised the permanent fix will be out in Q4 but when nobody will confirm.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7