Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR NET-CGI list_basic_attached_devices() data sources?

SLK-Purdue
Luminary

NETGEAR NET-CGI list_basic_attached_devices() data sources?

I seem to have some time at home now 🙂 and I am getting back to working with ORBI and my scripts. 

The web page DEV_device_into.htm returns a data structure via the NET-CGI function list_basic_attached_device()    This is the info displayed for attached devices.   The question is what is the data source for this data structure returned from NET-CGI?  I assumed it was NVRAM but that is incorrect.   If I set things in NVRAM such as device name, those changes are not reflected in the data structure even after NVRAM commit and a reboot.  That data structure is kept somewhere else.  Where?   What I want to do is load name, type, etc info NVRAM and then have those changes move to the web display.

Thanks,

Scott

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NETGEAR NET-CGI list_basic_attached_devices() data sources?

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@SLK-Purdue wrote:

The web page DEV_device_into.htm returns a data structure via the NET-CGI function list_basic_attached_device()    This is the info displayed for attached devices.   The question is what is the data source for this data structure returned from NET-CGI?  I assumed it was NVRAM but that is incorrect. 

Experimenting just now (firmware 2.5.1.8) I found the behavior of updating the Attached Devices information puzzling.  I would click on a device description to open the edit page.  Make a change."Apply".  and find that the Attached Devices screen did not change.  Go back. Do it again. And, it changed.  Did this experiment several times with different devices.  Not take. Do again. Take.

Displayed NVRAM and the change was definitely there.

HOWEVER, dumping the full NVRAM, a new variable showed up that I have not seen before:

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep orbi_hid
orbi_hid_mac=00:11:D9:5F:42:8A
orbi_hid_model=TiVo Roamio DVR
orbi_hid_name=Tivo
orbi_hid_devtype=Media Streamer
orbi_hid_ip=192.168.1.6

Only the latest change to device descriptions shows up as an NVRAM variable.  This time it was my Tivo.  The previous time it was my HP printer.

It would be interesting to determine if the "new and improved" Attached Devices web page has had an effect on the process of changing device information.

And, of course, I'll need to update to 2.5.1.16 to see if that makes a difference as well.

Hmmmm.  Wonder if there is an easy way to use BOTH the "stock" and the "Scott" Attached Devices" web pages.  It is called from two menus (a) on the Basic Tab and (b) on the Advanced Tab.  That would make testing more convenient.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry to blather on..... (well, not really)

Did another experiment with changing the device "type" using the web interface. Had a couple of security cameras that were mislabelled at "network".  Click. Pull down to camera. "Apply".  Not changed.  Do it again.  This time changed.

Hmm.  Tried the other camera. Click. Pull down to camera. "Apply". Select another menu item. Select Attached Devices again. Changed.

There may be an internal timer or process that updates to device tables go through.

Goofy.

Message 4 of 5
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

There is a timer. Try REFRESH on Attached Devices when you return.  That forces a recheck. 

Scott

@CrimpOn wrote:

Sorry to blather on..... (well, not really)

Did another experiment with changing the device "type" using the web interface. Had a couple of security cameras that were mislabelled at "network".  Click. Pull down to camera. "Apply".  Not changed.  Do it again.  This time changed.

Hmm.  Tried the other camera. Click. Pull down to camera. "Apply". Select another menu item. Select Attached Devices again. Changed.

There may be an internal timer or process that updates to device tables go through.

Goofy.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7