Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR Orbi RBK12 /NordVPN and Chromecast

jfred4
Follower

NETGEAR Orbi RBK12 /NordVPN and Chromecast

Orbi RBK12 and a VPN and Chromecast (Google)

To cast from an Android phone to TV with Chromecast the phone and the TV shoud be on the same wifi.

I use on my phone a VPN (NordVPN) and my Wifi but Chromecast considers that is no more the same Wifi.

I should parameter my Orbi that it uses this VPN?

But is possible? and How?

Thank you for your advice

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@jfred4 wrote:

Orbi RBK12 and a VPN and Chromecast (Google)

To cast from an Android phone to TV with Chromecast the phone and the TV shoud be on the same wifi.

I use on my phone a VPN (NordVPN) and my Wifi but Chromecast considers that is no more the same Wifi.

I should parameter my Orbi that it uses this VPN?

Orbi firmware does not contain a VPN Client of any sort, so this is impossible.

The phone is obviously connected to the Orbi WiFi (or it could not communicate).

This sounds as if NordVPN is intercepting all transmissions and sending them through the VPN tunnel to the internet.

I print to a local printer from my Android devices. Can you?

I would look at NordVPN for a parameter to separate internet from LAN traffic.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

NordVPN has information about Chromecast on their web site:

https://nordvpn.com/download/chromecast/ 

They recommend creating a Hot Spot on the phone and connecting the Chromecast to the Hot Spot.

That way, both the phone that is streaming content over VPN and the Chromecast will be on the same network.

If VPN is a critical need, then perhaps Orbi is not the right WiFi router, as it does not support VPN Client mode (which makes every device on the local network use the VPN tunnel).  There is third party firmware for the RBR50 that can run OpenVPN in client mode, but the stock Netgear firmware does not.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7