Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NEtgear RBR 50

rudgo
Aspirant

NEtgear RBR 50

brought this Router and two satelites they work well however, one of the satelites drops the 2.4ghz connection to my wifi cameras every two days in order to fix this i have to reboot the satelite and everything works again any advise will be appreciated. the router is located about 15 ft from the satelite and the cameras is about 20ft away from the satelite.

thanks

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Minimum recommended distance between router and satellite is 30 ft. 

have you tried setting a static connection or reserving the IP address for the camera's? 

Does the problem only resolve if you reboot the satellite? not if you reboot the camera?

Message 2 of 14
rudgo
Aspirant

All cameras are set to static when i reboot the cameras it does not resolve the issue it only resolves when i reboot that particular satellite the camera connected to the 2nd satellinte does not drop. What i notice when the cameras drop they connect to the router bacause they cant see that satellite anymore but the router is to bit too far for the cameras

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

have you tried resetting that satellite?

What firmware is the RBR50 and the satellites on?

Could you swap around the 2 satellites to see if that helps?

Have you checked to see within the camera forums if anyone is having similar problems with those specific cameras?  I run several security cameras of Orbi and haven't had drops or problems. 

Message 4 of 14
rudgo
Aspirant

did not try resetting the sat but these cameras was working good before i install the mesh system i have the latest firmware that the netgear push out i think the next step to reset and try but its still under warranty so i will see what netgear support has to say.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 6 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@rudgo wrote:

brought this Router and two satelites they work well however, one of the satelites drops the 2.4ghz connection to my wifi cameras every two days in order to fix this i have to reboot the satelite and everything works again any advise will be appreciated. the router is located about 15 ft from the satelite and the cameras is about 20ft away from the satelite.

thanks

It can be that you have interference / disturbances on one of the 2.4 GHz channels. Please make a wifi radio scan around the camera and try to select the least used channel and set it as your 2.4 GHz channel in Orbi.

Message 7 of 14
rudgo
Aspirant

Using Auto on 2.4 and 48 on the 5g the cameras are connecting to the 2.4 I have disable 20/40 coexist to get full bandwith to the cameras I am using WPA2-PSK I cant disable the daisy chaing because i got the router on the top floor and one orbi 1 in the 2nd and orbi 2 in the first so the orbi 2 connects to the orbi 1 which is connected to the Router if I disable daisy chain I am afraid the orbi 2 might not be able to beam straight to the router. I do have about 5 networks in my area all with weak signals. Beamforming and mimo and wmm are enable.

thanks

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channels 1, 6 ro 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@rudgo wrote:

Using Auto on 2.4 and 48 on the 5g the cameras are connecting to the 2.4 I have disable 20/40 coexist to get full bandwith to the cameras I am using WPA2-PSK I cant disable the daisy chaing because i got the router on the top floor and one orbi 1 in the 2nd and orbi 2 in the first so the orbi 2 connects to the orbi 1 which is connected to the Router if I disable daisy chain I am afraid the orbi 2 might not be able to beam straight to the router. I do have about 5 networks in my area all with weak signals. Beamforming and mimo and wmm are enable.

thanks

Message 9 of 14
rudgo
Aspirant

he first one is 15 ft and the 2nd one is 30 ft away

thanks

Message 10 of 14
rudgo
Aspirant

Will try that scan thanks whats the best phone app you reccommend to do this scan

thanks

Message 11 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@rudgo wrote:

Will try that scan thanks whats the best phone app you reccommend to do this scan

If you have a Macbook then it has a built in wifi scanner.

Otherwise I also use the Apple Airport Utility app in my iPhone which also have abuilt-in scanner. I guess that the same app is available for Android as well.

Message 12 of 14
rudgo
Aspirant

Thanks

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would move the 1st RBS out to 30 feet. 15 feet is too close. 

@rudgo wrote:

he first one is 15 ft and the 2nd one is 30 ft away

thanks

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7