Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NTP issues when Orbi (RBR50) is in Router mode

Kandyman
Aspirant

NTP issues when Orbi (RBR50) is in Router mode

I have AT&T Uverse with a AT&T Pace 5268AC gateway.  My RBR50 is setup in router mode. It is in the DMZ of the gateway (DMZPlus mode so all traffic is directed to it) and has a public IP address.  Essentially, everything works well except NTP.

WIth this setup, none of my devices can sync time from any internet time server.  Not even the RBR50 itself. 

If I bypass the RBR50 and plug a device directly into the AT&T gateway and it gets a NAT IP addreess from the gateway, it is able to sync time from any time server that I specify (e.g. pool.ntp.org, time.windows.com, etc.).  Similarly, if I change the RBR50 to AP mode rather than router mode, so that NAT'ing is done by the AT&T gateway, NTP works.

I did a lot of online searching and found that AT&T apparently blocks UDP 123 (which NTP uses) but it is not a problem when NAT is handled by the AT&T gateway.  It also appears that if you are using your own router, you can avoid the problem by masquerading our outbound UDP 123 traffic to a different port number - see https://community.ui.com/questions/ATandT-Fiber-service-blocks-NTP-123-udp-outbound-Anyway-around-th....

I tried futzing with iptables on the RBR50.  I added a nat POSTROUTING rule which masquerades outbound port 123 to another port.  I was able to get the RBR50 itself to time sync with my rule in place, but could not get it to work for devices behind the RBR50.  But that really doesn't matter now  because for some reason, any rules I add to iptables somehow get deleted after a few minutes.

So, my questions are:

1. Are others experiencing the NTP problem when their RBR50 is in Router mode?
  2. Is it a known issue or "feature" that iptables changes are automatically removed, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Kandyman
Aspirant

Re: NTP issues when Orbi (RBR50) is in Router mode

An update for anyone who may run into this.  After posting here, I remembered that I had a AT&T Arris NVG599 in my parts bin.  I took it out, reset it, and configured it in "Passthrough" mode for my RBR50.  Guess what - NTP has been working since, and I have kept my RBR50 in router mode.

So, @FURRYe38 , you were correct about it being an ISP/gateway issue.  The AT&T Pace 5268AC gateway was the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be a ISP modem issue. Nothing on the Orbi that you can change to fix this. 

Something to ask your ISP about. Also your Modem may need to be updated. I believe the PACE is superseded by the Arris BGW-210 if your ISP supports it. 

Something you can review and try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-AX-6000-and-AT-amp-T-fiber-gateway-issue/m-p/1890125/h...

Orbi NTP works fine for me. Though I'm on cable and have a cable modem. 

Message 2 of 14
Kandyman
Aspirant

I don't agree that this is a modem issue.  By putting the RBR50 in DMZPlus mode on the gateway, I am essentially bypassing the gateway/modem.  The RBR50 has a pulic IP address so it's traffic is going out directly.  Besides, if it was a modem issue, why does NTP work when I take the RBR50 out of the picture, leaving only the modem?  The issue is AT&T blocking UDP 123, and *maybe* the RBR50 not masquerading traffic on that port to something else (which presumably the AT&T modems do).  This would not be a big deal if the changes I make to iptables on the RBR50 would stick.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe however DMZPlus has been known NOT to be actual DMZ or giving full public address abilities thus still causing problems.

NTP works on the MODEM since it's the main host router and you connect there. Having the RBR50 behind the modem in router mode also causes a double NAT issue however the DMZ should help with this, however it maybe still causing problems. 

NTP works on the RBR. If it didn't then there would be much more users posting about it. I know I would. Smiley Wink

What your seeing is mostly the ISP modems mishandling of passing requested traffic thru the DMZ in the double NAT condition. If the modem supporting full bridge mode, then this problem would be solved however ATT modems don't support that option. 

Message 4 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kandyman wrote:

I have AT&T Uverse with a AT&T Pace 5268AC gateway.  My RBR50 is setup in router mode. It is in the DMZ of the gateway (DMZPlus mode so all traffic is directed to it) and has a public IP address.  Essentially, everything works well except NTP.

WIth this setup, none of my devices can sync time from any internet time server.  Not even the RBR50 itself. 

If I bypass the RBR50 and plug a device directly into the AT&T gateway and it gets a NAT IP addreess from the gateway, it is able to sync time from any time server that I specify (e.g. pool.ntp.org, time.windows.com, etc.).  Similarly, if I change the RBR50 to AP mode rather than router mode, so that NAT'ing is done by the AT&T gateway, NTP works.

Could you comment on the reason to put the Orbi in the gateway DMZ rather than put the gateway into Bridge Mode?

(I did not watch all the way to the end, but the guy in this video seems pretty confident)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q0Q2alkzcY 

When the Orbi is put into AP mode, it is NOT in the DMZ, correct?

And, yes, I believe you are correct that Orbi periodically rewrites the iptables.  There is third party firmware for the RBR50 that I believe does not, and also has a method to automatically create iptables when the router is rebooted.

http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/orbi.html 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats not "bridge mode", just the use of DMZ as a WAN traffic pass through thats supposedly unfiltered. ATT Modems don't don't support actual bridge mode. 

Message 6 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thats not "bridge mode", just the use of DMZ as a WAN traffic pass through thats supposedly unfiltered. ATT Modems don't don't support actual bridge mode. 

This time, I did watch the video all the way to the end.  Yes, indeed.  He has confused "bridge mode" with DMZ.

What I wonder, however, is why this person appears to think that any router will function in this setup.

Surely he would have noticed if NTP totally failed on his router or any device connected to his router?  If no device can get NTP to work, then this is totally unusable.

NTP is the subject of this thread, not "bridge mode vs. DMZ".  Did he do something (like when he disabled checking for "router behind router" that makes NTP work?

Message 7 of 14
Kandyman
Aspirant

I think NTP problems are not easily noticed because most devices generally do not have a significant time drift, and when there is one, most people just manually correct the time on the device.  I just happned to notice this because I was doing some automation which wipes and reloads the OS and does other things including authenticating to cloud services.  It was because I could not get a valid authetication token for the cloud services that I started to dig into it and found the NTP issue.  I thought of just manually correct the time like most people will do but then the curious part of me started to ask why time sync wasn't working.  Then I looked at a number of other computers & devices and noticed that they hadn't synced time in months - and last synced around when I switched my RBR from AP to router mode. 

So it looks like the only way for me to get this working is to go change back to AP mode huh?  This stinks.  Good fiber speeds from AT&T but you pay for that with inflexibility in their gateways.

Message 8 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kandyman wrote:

So it looks like the only way for me to get this working is to go change back to AP mode huh?  This stinks.  Good fiber speeds from AT&T but you pay for that with inflexibility in their gateways.

I don't have AT&T and cannot experiment with the exact steps recommended in that video, so I have no way to verify his claim. I would think that all of my devices would complain if they could not get a time sync when they boot up.

I am still confused about why the Orbi needs to be in AP mode when in the DMZ. That seems contrary to the advice I have seen for years about the three ways to solve the "Double NAT" issue: (1) ISP in bridge mode, (2) Orbi in AP mode, (3) Orbi in DMZ (in router mode).

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

It's still not actual bridge mode. The NAT or router is still running on the modem. I watched the video as well. 

Possible that the metion of the "router behind router" has something to do, though the video didn't point to checking NTP after they were done making changes on the modem. 

Been other posts regarding the the PACE branded modem is out of date and should be replaced or updated and changed out. With the metion of the "router behind router" not working well by the video, seems like this ellates to other problems with this brand of modem . 

Otherwise, the modem is interferring with the data for NTP on this thread and Orbi is having problems with it. Something that needs to be resolved on the modem side and only one having this problem currently. 

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

And yes, short term solution is to run the Orbi in AP mode until the modem problem can be resolved. 

Might try this and see:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Netgear-Orbi-and-ATT-Pace-5268-Router/m-p/1786833/highlight/tr...

Message 11 of 14
Kandyman
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Kandyman wrote:

I don't have AT&T and cannot experiment with the exact steps recommended in that video, so I have no way to verify his claim. I would think that all of my devices would complain if they could not get a time sync when they boot up.

I am still confused about why the Orbi needs to be in AP mode when in the DMZ. That seems contrary to the advice I have seen for years about the three ways to solve the "Double NAT" issue: (1) ISP in bridge mode, (2) Orbi in AP mode, (3) Orbi in DMZ (in router mode).

Orbi will not be in the DMZ when I put it AP mode.  That would be bad.  I will take it out of the DMZ and have it just be be an AP for wireless clients, behind the  gateway.  NTP works fine in that configuration where the only NAT is the gateway.

Message 12 of 14
Kandyman
Aspirant

An update for anyone who may run into this.  After posting here, I remembered that I had a AT&T Arris NVG599 in my parts bin.  I took it out, reset it, and configured it in "Passthrough" mode for my RBR50.  Guess what - NTP has been working since, and I have kept my RBR50 in router mode.

So, @FURRYe38 , you were correct about it being an ISP/gateway issue.  The AT&T Pace 5268AC gateway was the problem.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found a working modem. I would try to replace the PACE one at some point. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7