Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NVR to Orbi RBS50 satellite

hlk
Aspirant
Aspirant

NVR to Orbi RBS50 satellite

Hi I have existing Hikvision NVR connected to my modem router (tplink archer d9) via Ethernet which is working fine. I also have orbi as router connected to the modem router and orbi satellite somewhere else. Unfortunately I have to change my modem to different location and unable to run ethernet to my new location. I tried to plug in my NVR to the Orbi Satellite via Ethernet but it seems like doesn't work. Do I need to change any settings? Any idea? Thanks
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: NVR to Orbi RBS50 satellite

If both the TP-Link and the Orbi are "routers", then they are each creating separate IP subnets.

This often leads to devices being "unreachable."

When you plug the NVR into the Orbi satellite, it should request an IP address from the Orbi.  This will be different from the IP address it was getting from the TP-Link.

What is the symptom of "not working"?

This "Double NAT condition" is usually handled by making one of the routers into "not a router".

In this situation, the easiest solution would be to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.  That way, the TP-Link will give the NVR the same IP address it was getting before and all devices should be able to find it.

Message 2 of 3
hlk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: NVR to Orbi RBS50 satellite

Thanks for your reply. I am not good at networking stuff but I think you might be right about setting one as AP mode. When I said it's not working I expect I can still access to my camera in NVR without changing anything. I shall give it a try and thanks again.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7