Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need Basement Help

MichaelParks26
Aspirant

Need Basement Help

1. Due to COVID constraints my wife has begun teaching her classes from home via Google Meets. She set up a nice work area in our finished basement, but had trouble with our WIFI there. After reading here of others' success with ORBI Outside in the basement I purchased the unit, synced it, and placed it in the basement on her work desk. Simply put, it isn't helping. While the app shows that it's connected to the router and system and her laptop is connected, she still gets error messages saying, "Move closer to router." Our system is the ORBI RBR40 router with 2 satellites plus the aforementioned ORBI Outside unit. Listing this in the MODEL box above was not an option, so I got as close as I could. This is an expensive bust right now. Can anyone help?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

Re: Need Basement Help

It won't allow me to use channel 36. Each time I attempted to do so the number in the box went back to 40. I've set the 5G devices variously at 40, 44, and 48. Doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference.

View solution in original post

Message 32 of 32

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Basements are not good locations for the main host RBR router. All that concrete and steel will cause problems. Main or 1st level floors are recommended. 

What Orbi model do you have? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any RBS installed as well? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Ensure the laptops wifi adapter drivers are updated as well. 

Message 2 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

The router is on the main floor, next to the modem. Only the ORBI Outside satellite is in the basement.
The ORBI Outside satellite is more than 30 feet from the router.
My router is an RBR40 with 2 satellites and the added ORBI Outside. The house is roughly 3,500 square feet. The modem router has been disconnected.
Message 3 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

The error message is coming from Google Meets, correct?

What this sounds like is the connection between Orbi router and the RBS50Y satellite is too weak.

There is no benefit of placing the satellite "on the desk" with the computer if the link between router and satellite is weak.

WiFi is affected dramatically by material.  It could be just your luck that the WiFi link between router and satellite is having to penetrate 20 floor joists.  Or be directly behind an HVAC duct that is hidden above the ceiling.

I would try relocating the satellite close to the router and still maintain either a clear line-of-sight or have few obstacles between the satellite and teaching PC.

Message 4 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@MichaelParks26 wrote:
The router is on the main floor, next to the modem. Only the ORBI Outside satellite is in the basement.
The ORBI Outside satellite is more than 30 feet from the router.
My router is an RBR40 with 2 satellites and the added ORBI Outside. The house is roughly 3,500 square feet. The modem router has been disconnected.

Message 5 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

I get the blue light when syncing, which is "strong connection" status. Do I still need to move the satellite? It's advertised as having more connection power than the typical satellites that came with the router. I thought it would be perfect for the basement.
Message 6 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes...you can keep tracking the status on the RBRs web page and see when it goes from Good to Poor. If you see Poor status then you can move the RBS back a bit closer to the RBR where the status shows good. 

Message 7 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

Manufacturer: Technicolor
Model: TC8715D
Message 8 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

Spectrum is my internet provider, but I long ago disconnected the router service from the modem in favor of the ORBI RBR40 system I purchased. The two were fighting one another.
Message 9 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would configure option #2 on the modem to see if this helps...

@MichaelParks26 wrote:
Manufacturer: Technicolor
Model: TC8715D

Message 10 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

Modem WIFI was disconnected about 3 years ago.
Message 11 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@MichaelParks26 wrote:
I get the blue light when syncing, which is "strong connection" status. Do I still need to move the satellite? It's advertised as having more connection power than the typical satellites that came with the router. I thought it would be perfect for the basement.

This seems inconsistent with my understanding of WiFi.  The FCC regulates the maximum transmit power of WiFi systems.  It is unlikely that one model of Orbi will have stronger radios than other models.

With the satellite having a "Good" connection to the router, my focus is on that error message, "Move closer to the router."

Google Meets has modest requiements:

https://it.vcfa.edu/kb/google-meets/requirements-to-use-google-hangouts 

Can you do a Speedtest measurement at the teaching location?  (browse to http://speedtest.net)

Surely the PC meets those requirements.

Might experiment with using a different browser.

Finally, does your wife observe any problems other than the warning message?  Are students complaining about bad video or sound?

Message 12 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

And did you configure DMZ on the modem for the RBR? 

@MichaelParks26 wrote:
Modem WIFI was disconnected about 3 years ago.

Message 13 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

Yes, students complain about lagging and freezing.
Speed test results: Ping--46, Download--224.45, Upload--11.81.
Message 14 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

Also, she says the school district will not allow browsers other than Google. There are 2,000 laptops working in the district, and strict rules apply for usage. She has contacted the media supervisor for permission to check the WIFI adapter drivers.
Message 15 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

If this is a laptop, it should be possible to (temporarily) move upstairs and connect directly to the router.  If the same message appears when connected to the router, then the satellite is not the cause.

Message 16 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

I don't know what DMZ is, but the modem is connected to the RBR40 router via ethernet. Also, I disabled the modem WIFI when I purchased the ORBI system about 3 years ago. They were fighting one another. The system has worked like a charm. I'm just confused as to why the basement satellite isn't helping us.
Message 17 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you get any good signal in the basement with that RBS turned OFF? 
What happens if you swap RBS locations, does the same problem happen in the basement still or does something else change? 

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Networking-101-The-DMZ-137550

Message 18 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

On phones, yes, we got good signal in the basement prior to installing the RBS. This is the first time we've tried using a laptop there.

May I ask a question? Yesterday my wife disconnected the laptop and took it to a meeting. This morning when the WIFI was weak, I noticed that the ORBI Outdoor satellite was turned off on the app. I toggled it back on and things improved. Would the fact that she disconnected, then reconnected WITHOUT REBOOTING have something to do with the satellite turning off? Just a thought.
Message 19 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS can only be turned off with the button in back or pull the power cord. 
If you turned it back on, usually the connecting device needs to be rebooted or the wifi adapter disabled for 5 seconds then re-enabled so the laptop would see the closer signal from the RBS with out a reboot. Unless it has some good algorythm and switched to the RBS signal on it's own. Which is possible. 

Message 20 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@MichaelParks26 wrote:
 I noticed that the ORBI Outdoor satellite was turned off on the app. I toggled it back on and things improved..

As @FURRYe38 commented, I am not aware of any method in the Orbi app to "toggle" the outdoor satellite on or off.  Only "devices" can be paused in the app.

Does the RBS50Y appear on the Orbi 'app' as a satellite connected to the router with a dotted line?

Message 21 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

Yes, it's on the dotted line. As for the other, this morning the Outdoor ORBI panel of the app said the Outdoor ORBI was turned off. I don't know why. I clicked on the panel and in a few seconds it turned back on. She uses a program called "GoGuardian" to check each student's login and see that they're engaged. This is what's running sluggishly. She has the laptop screen and 2 monitors functioning, with a minimum of 5 active tabs, sometimes 7 or 8 active tabs. I was wondering about a bandwidth problem, but the system worked just fine when she ran it upstairs with only 1 monitor.
Message 22 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@MichaelParks26 wrote:
 the system worked just fine when she ran it upstairs with only 1 monitor.

How do you hook up two additional monitors to one laptop?

If the error message is coming from GoGuardian, perhaps she could ask them what causes the message to appear (and the students to complain of audio/video problems)?

How many students are on a typical session when this happens?

Message 23 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

One monitor plugs into an HDMI port on the laptop itself. On the other side of the laptop she has installed a dock and the 2nd monitor is plugged into the rock's HDMI port.

The error message comes from Google Meets. When it was a problem this morning there were 10 students to be monitored. She says that other classes go as high as 20 students, however.
Message 24 of 32
MichaelParks26
Aspirant

*dock's*
Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements