Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need Help Choosing Wi-Fi Routers

Wgc
Follower
Follower

Need Help Choosing Wi-Fi Routers

Hi, all.  I would welcome your advice in choosing a router system. I’m looking at Orbi but am open to other solutions as well. My three-level house has a built-in enterprise grade access point on the top floor; it would be connected by Ethernet to whatever I get. There is also a spot in the basement to connect a second access point by Ethernet, so I assume that would give me the best performance.  The internet enters on the middle floor, so the main router would go there.  Even with those, however, the house is long and narrow and I also will need a wireless access point in the garage, so I’m still considering a mesh system (and also for ease of use).  Should I get an Orbi system plus a non-mesh access point of some type for the wired basement spot?

As for us, we are very heavy internet users — it’s not uncommon to have multiple streaming 4K videos going at once while my wife and I both log into virtual work systems simultaneously.  Speed, reliability, and ease of use is a priority.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need Help Choosing Wi-Fi Routers

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between the base Orbi and satellites to begin with depending upon building materials.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

When using a MESH system, it's recommended to not have any other wifi AP sources running in the home. The lone Orbi system will be sufficiant for wifi if set up well and placed well throughout the home.

I can't say any thing about 4K streaming as I don't have anything that supports 4K. I do have a DISH Hopper system thats connected with 3 Joeys and 2 game consoles. With all the reast of my items, the Orbi system I have worked well. I've always streamed wired and prefer wired for any video streaming. Less hassle and problems for this vs wifi streaming.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7