Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need Help

Mattyl22l
Aspirant

Need Help

A while back I purchased an Orbi system. The RBK50 [RBR50 with 1 satellite] and a NETGEAR CM700 Cable Modem.

Ever since the begging of using these products I get a lot of inconsistent speeds and drops me out of games on Xbox or Apps on Smart TV's.

On my Xbox I noticed it says I have a Strict NAT type, Double NAT detected. How or can I change this to Open and do any of the settings in these device effect or would help my situation of an inconsistent connection with drops?

I tried using this page...https://kb.netgear.com/19844/Why-does-my-Xbox-say-NAT-is-set-to-strict-or-moderate-when-I-try-to-pla...

.......but I don't have the customization in my modem to make these changes.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need Help

What FW is currently loaded?
I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For cable Internet, RG-6coaxial cable is needed, no tRG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

How do you have yoru xbox connected? Wired or wireless? Wired is preferred.

How many consoles do you have connected?

Xbox connected to the base router or the satellite?

Is uPnP enabled and any Port Forwarding disabled?

I had two xboxes connected to my CBK40 system. ALL OPEN NAT and no issues. CBK40 has a built in CM700 modem btw.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 14
Mattyl22l
Aspirant

Thank you for such a quick and detailed reply "FURRY"!

-The FW for both the Router and Satelite are up to date.

-I just ordered a new RG6 Coaxail Cable and new CAT7 Ethernet Cables, they should be here in a day or two.

-I don't have a ethernet switch

-like 1500 SqFt, it's an apartment

-Satelite is about 15ft away from Router

-Xbox is connected Wired/Ethernet

-Have two consoles connected Wired+Laptop

-Xbox is connected to Router

-uPnP is enabled and still working on port forwarding and assigning a static ip to Xbox

I will look into the settings and adjust as suggested, assign the Xbox a static ip to port forward, and replace the cables. Then I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you for the help and suggestions. 🙂

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

-like 1500 SqFt, it's an apartment

-Satelite is about 15ft away from Router - 

OK, this is too close between the satellite and router. The router alone can cover up to 30 feet and beyond. I would Turn OFF the satellite and just test with the router only for now...

-Xbox is connected Wired/Ethernet

-Have two consoles connected Wired+Laptop

-Xbox is connected to Router

-uPnP is enabled and still working on port forwarding and assigning a static ip to Xbox

uPnP should be enabled and any PF rules need to be disabled. There not needed. Set up a Reserved IP address ON the router for the xbox. Don't set a static IP address on the xbox. Xbox networking should be all automatic. 

So you have two xbox consoles? If so, change NAT Fitler to OPEN. 

Message 4 of 14
Mattyl22l
Aspirant

Ok. I turned off the Satelite and reset the Router back to factory default settings then made the following adjustments:

Enabled uPnP

NAT Filtering = Open

2.4Ghz = Channel 1

5.0Ghz = Channel 36

Disabled Daisey Chain, MIMO, Fast Roaming, IPv6, and 20/40Mhz Coexistance

Reserved Xbox IP Address

All network settings on Xbox are Automatic

- Reset Modem and Router

RESULTS:still says NAT type Strict, Double NAT detected

😞

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the power button on both consoles and hold until until the console turns off. Reboot the router, wait for ready, then power on one console and check the networking settings on the console for NAT status. Should be OPEN Here. 

Message 6 of 14
Mattyl22l
Aspirant

I performed a Hard Shutdown on both consoles. Reset Router. Then turned on 1 Xbox. NAT type still Strict.

Could this be an issue on the ISP's end?

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Possilbly...This should work at least on the LAN site and on the Orbi, it's how It got my friends Orbi running with this two xbox consoles.

Only other thing I did was to net NAT Filter to OPEN since he's got 3 game consoles. This shouldn't be needed for a single game consoles as the one console should and always does get the 3074 port. More then one console, NAT Filter set to OPEN needs to be enabled since more than one console can't use port 3074 all at the same time so this is where uPnP and NAT FIlter setting come in to play to get OPEN NAT accross the board on multiple game consoles.

Can reivew how I got my friends Orbi going and see if this helps any:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

If nothing else, try connecting your game console directly to the ISP Modem.

What ISP service do you have?

An you are positive you have a CM700?

Message 8 of 14
Mattyl22l
Aspirant

Ok, I checked my Xbox and it says it's on Port 3074.

I then connected the Xbox straight to the Modem/CM700 and it says STRICT, uPnP not available.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

There either is a problem at the modem which I don't believe is the main issue, I think the problem is with your xbox. What model is the xbox? X or original? S?

Try both consoles at the modem directly?

When connected to the modem directly, you should see OPEN.

You could contact the ISP and see if they notice anything while connected directly to the modem.

Message 10 of 14
Mattyl22l
Aspirant

#1 Console is an Xbox One S

#2 Console is an Xbox One original

Both are wired directly to Router

Both consoles display STRICT NAT when connected to router

Both consoles also display STRICT NAT when connected directly to Modem

PS: I now have replaced all wired Ethernets with the suggested CAT7 and Coax Cable with RG6. I also took a look at the link where you describe your friends setup you did, also made those change in my Router.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have your old prior router by chance? Something to try as a quick test. Take the Orbi off line and put the old one online and check the consoles.

However if you tested one console directly at the modem and still get Strict NAT, something is wrong at the ISP service, modem or xbox.

Message 12 of 14
Mattyl22l
Aspirant

Hey, I've been keeping an eye on it for the past couple days and what I've obsurved is most of the time the morning up until 3pm my connetion is almost flawless, a fairly consistent 15 ping/ms in most matches at around 40mb/s download. But it seems around 3pm I noticed it change instintly back to frequent lag spikes where it goes from 50 ping/ms and 30mb/s download to as bad as 150-200 ping/ms at 8mb/s back and forth (almost unplayable on Xbox and where it sometimes lags me out of matches).

Do you think the ISP service isn't strong enough?

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact the ISP about and let them know that all is good up to around 3PM. They should be able to see changes on there side during this time frame...

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7