Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need a way to restrict access to apps on specific devices (using Orbi RBR50)

JohnHThomasIII
Follower

Need a way to restrict access to apps on specific devices (using Orbi RBR50)

Specifics:  Orbi RBR50, firmware v2.0.1.4, Windows 10

I'm looking for a way to access devices connected to my network and specifically target those devices so that I can restrict access to certain app, sites, etc (specifically, places like Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, streaming services).  I've installed Netgear Genie and while it looks neat and has a bunch of pretty buttons to click on , it really doesn't do a thing to help me (granted, I'm horrible with network stuff).  I've signed up for an OpenDNS account but the categories to restrict are crazy broad (movies, anime, nudity, etc.) and it restricts those things from all devices.  I want something that allows me to specifically target a device (my son's cell phone for example), restrict access to something on that device and that device alone, and possibly pick an choose allowed content in the future.  It would be nice if I could just select that device through Genie and set specifics  Any suggestions?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4
wchp
Luminary

Re: Need a way to restrict access to apps on specific devices (using Orbi RBR50)

I don't know of any router that truly allows that level of granular control you describe. I use an old PC with Untangle @ Home firewall which allows application control by MAC address, IP, time of day and even captive portal if you are so inclined. The $50 a year home subscription gives you the full suite of apps as well. The downside is that it has a learning curve. The other limitation is that only helps you if the iPhone is using WiFi... If the phone is using cellular data, wifi filters are of no use.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 4
thombe
Apprentice

Re: Need a way to restrict access to apps on specific devices (using Orbi RBR50)

yes its a tough one this and one that all parents have concerns over

personally i use a combination of things

Orbi in AP

Some controls in my Asus DSL-AC68U

Asus runs a VPN Server

OpenDns

My daughers phone has OpenVPN configured to be always on, thus connecting back to my Asus router and therefore picks up the OpenDNS restrictions/safetyguards.

I also use Microsoft Family Safety which you can configure for all members of the family using microsoft products of course. this is brilliant, and they should all do this. My daughter used to have a windows phone and I could ensure certain parameters there... no longer the case which is why i had to use a vpn solution back home.

None of it is ideal, but I find this works well enough for me.

I can look if I so choose on the logs.
Here is a link to Asus's aiprotection which seems work..

https://www.asus.com/AiProtection/

just some thoughts.

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You may want to look at disney circle as it is a parental program that is install on Orbi with firwmare version 2.1 or higher the paid version has some in depth controls of devices.

https://www.netgear.com/landings/circle/default.aspx

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7